average number of dives a year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not enough diving as I would like to do , but I have logged 100 dives in a year and a half. I haven't been in the water since Oct.27 and it is driving me crazy. It has been one thing or another in the way the last month or so. Weather has not been very good either. I was going to the lake every Saturday and some Sundays doing one and two tank dives. I also, go on atleast two liveaboards, make one to two long weekend trips with the LDS to WPB. and a vacation with my husband (non-diver) who encourages me to dive atleast two days of our vacation. Great guy he is. I am hoping that I will be adding in some additional dives in the Florida gulf area, Destin and Panama City Bch more often. I now have access to a condo there at anytime I want it. My father has bought a condo in Destin and I have the key to it. Can't wait to get some good diving there.

another way to dive more is to work on a cruise ship :D

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
There is an article in the latest California Diving News (December) with around 10 tips on how to get more diving in. I don't have it in front of me but among other things it mentioned:

Join a club
Dive solo
Own your equipment
On your next boat trip get in an extra dive by better managing your gear and dive times.

In another 28 days you'll be able to read it in the archived page:

California Diving News Archives

for the last 9 months with tropical water dives - living in North Queensland the water didn't seem to get below around 25 degrees Celcius even in the heart of our winter. So we were able to dive year round in light wetties which was great compared to the chilly dives off Sydney where I first learnt to dive!

Did about 50 dives this year since March - would have been more but i'm a struggling student!! $$ cha-ching!! and also, so many people frown on diving with a hangover!!

:confined:

So, adding up all the numbers here, there must be a lot of certified divers doing no diving at all to make the average equal 4. Which of course is true. Lots of people are certifed and hardly ever dive, and only a very few people dive more than 10 times a year, I would think - and it seems most of them hang around here!!

Boy, there sure is a wealth of experience on this board - I am really impressed. I do several thousand warm water dives a year in my dreams - but some years it added up to none at all in the real world. For a while, every set of dive I did had to start with a refresher (which actually is a great way to meet some people when you are in a strange place.)

Lately, I have decided to JUST DO IT - even went and did AOW here in cold water. Family / career / finances - living life can really get in the way of good diving, can't it? I have decided to spend a bit more time on myself in the next few years (too bad my wife can't dive - bad back) and I am really delighted that 3 of my 4 kids are now diving. Probably will be 4/4 when my littlest one is old enough.

I met a really neat couple of people on a dive off Lanai once - a father and daughter - they had established the tradition of meeting up once a year for a dive trip - just the two of them.

On this trip, it was his 70th birthday - and he wanted to get to 70 feet - which he did - and was roundly cheered by everyone on the boat. He and his daughter had shared a lot of wonderful experiences over the years. I still remember the look in her eyes when her dad climbed out of the water, and gave everyone on the boat high-fives! (I think she was 40ish at the time) and I have thought I should do the same. With 4 kids - that should add up to some decent diving time for me!!

I won't be able to match the numbers of most of the above posters, but I am not going to let my gear gather dust, either.

Ciao

154 this year and counting, hoping to get at least 4-6 more in the next couple weeks, Our club is doing a new year's eve night dive in West Palm this year. In the water the last half hour of 2002, out in 2003. (we'll make our own ball from a lift bag and chem sticks) Champange on the ride back to the dock. If you're in the area and are interested, PM me and I'll give you the details (we have a few more slots open)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom