AVG depth on the fly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does that actually tell you the average? I thought it was max only (or current, during the dive) unless you download the profile to a PC.

No, it shows the average depth during the dive (Mares Puck Pro).

Ediit: I looked it up, the Puck Pro does, the Puck does not.

Last edited:
For what purpose? You can't use an average depth to calculate bottom time on an rdp table, right?
Agree. The only reason I do it is there is of course a place for it on my log page. It serves no real purpose if you have a computer, or do mostly 30' dives like me. I just take the max depth and then approximate at what depth I spent most of my time. I do this with deeper computer dives as well as I only have the puck.

Doing a multi-level dive profile is probably a but more precise than "average depth," even if you had a pretty good calculation of average depth. Isn't the reason we use computers is that they do a muti-level dive proifile for us, with essentially limitless different levels? I don't think it's that hard ot "guesstimate' average depth, but its even easier to read a computer. I guess my pint is that I am uncertain why a person would need an "average depth " number. Jut now I'll probably obsess about trying tio calculate min ion the next dozen dives!
DivemasterDennis

Well, I had misunderstood my instructors when I asked them if one could calculate bottom time as an average of depth.

They meant "no" as in "it is a complexity you are not ready to handle and is dangerous if done wrong", not no as in "using an accurate average will result in inaccurate rn calculations".

Anyone have any links/anecdotes about how to go about figuring out your average depth on a dive on the fly?

BRad

If I make the same profile several times I can predict it fairly accuractly. As a means for doing on the fly deco calculations, especially in a new location, I don't trust myself to get it right. That's what computers are for.

Case in point. Last weekend we did a Trimix dive at a site that I've dived many times on air before. I had a reasonable idea of how much deco I had to do but because I don't have a helium computer I was diving on tables. After the dive I said to one of my buddies (who did have a computer) that my "best guess" was that we did 15 min more deco than we needed to do. He said it was almost spot on. In fact I did 17 minutes more on tables than his computer indicated.

key words here are "best guess"... and that's the reason I follow my plan.

R..

Well, I had misunderstood my instructors when I asked them if one could calculate bottom time as an average of depth.

They meant "no" as in "it is a complexity you are not ready to handle and is dangerous if done wrong", not no as in "using an accurate average will result in inaccurate rn calculations".

Not sure I understand their concern (I may be misunderstanding) - I use my PDC Avg depth to determine SAC/RMV for the dive.
SAC/RMV Rate = ((PSI Used/Working Pressure)*Cylinder Capacity)/(((Depth/33+1)*minutes)
In this calculation I substitute Avg Depth = (Depth/33+1)

*** Edit ***
Were you saying using Avg Depth for a Bottom time so you can determine your NDLs?

Last edited:
Again, as a DM, if I have been diving with a group of divers before, I can usually guesstimate the average depth required for a dive so that people get a 60 minute dive within a few minutes or so. So it's a very useful tool for me, and I'm glad I can read it on my DC.

Avg is vital if diving a min deco ascent strategy.

I used the average depth during every dive as a DM, it's a very handy tool if you want to give your divers a full 60 minute dive, depending on their air consumption.
Any air-integrated computer will give you "Air Time Remaining". As a DM you should have pro-level equipment. Including an air integrated diving computer.

Any air-integrated computer will give you "Air Time Remaining". As a DM you should have pro-level equipment. Including an air integrated diving computer.

But that would only give me my air consumption, and not that of my divers. Or should every one of my divers be outfitted with an air-integrated computer too?

Back
Top Bottom