AVG depth on the fly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct the Punk Pro does, that is the one I have, the other advantage over the regular Punk is that in the Punk Pro you can set Nitrox, it is good no so expensive DC

My regular Puck does Nitrox.

Easy for me . . .my average depth in meters from my Bottom Timer & Dive Computer translates drectly to a bar-per-minute pressure consumption rate. What is so difficult about working with multiples or percentages of "one" (i.g. "1bar/minute")???

Switch to the Metric System for Scuba diving -concepts like average depth in Gas Management, Modifed Thirds, Tank Matching etc. will be much easier to formulate & figure out both on pre-dive planning and real time during the dive.

I guess my pint is that I am uncertain why a person would need an "average depth " number. Jut now I'll probably obsess about trying tio calculate min ion the next dozen dives!
DivemasterDennis
my cheapo aeris XR1 does not give Ave and I wanted it to monitor my SAC for improvement.

Why. Plan the dive and dive the plan.

To many people just jump in and rely on their computer.

Last dive I did was planned to 30m for an hour in water: 15 min @ 25-30m, 20 min @ 15-20m the remainder above 10m. Went in with 230bar out with 110, single 12. Unfortunately we only did 54 min as my buddy was on 50bar, with a 15Lt cylinder.

Always.

But say, you decided to do a 60 minute dive, with an average depth of 60ft (15@100, 15@70, 15@50, 15@20), but you ended up spending a little more or less time at one or more of the depths for various reasons (octopus/wolf eels, photos, etc).

In my purpose, its mainly just an exercise of current profile, and for rough calculating average SAC for the dive. My downloaded profile will tell me my average depth later when I get home, but that doesn't help me on my second dive of the day, if the water is a little colder, faster current than I previously thought and trying to figure out if I have enough gas for a profile, or should I modify it so that I don't have to worry about running into issues with gas.

BRad

Always.

But say, you decided to do a 60 minute dive, with an average depth of 60ft (15@100, 15@70, 15@50, 15@20), but you ended up spending a little more or less time at one or more of the depths for various reasons (octopus/wolf eels, photos, etc).

In my purpose, its mainly just an exercise of current profile, and for rough calculating average SAC for the dive. My downloaded profile will tell me my average depth later when I get home, but that doesn't help me on my second dive of the day, if the water is a little colder, faster current than I previously thought and trying to figure out if I have enough gas for a profile, or should I modify it so that I don't have to worry about running into issues with gas.

BRad
It's called dive planning for a reason. Plan the dive; dive the plan.

To to change things when in the water isn't being proactive, but reactive.

In other words you're letting the dive control you rather than you controlling the dive.

Just my take on diving.

No, I disagree. For a recreational dive, we set outside parameters -- no deeper than, no longer than, use no more gas than. But within those parameters, the profile can DEFINITELY change. Suppose you do a site where you plan to spend 20 minutes around 70 feet, but when you get down there, it turns out there isn't much to see, or the viz is much worse than it is shallower. You and your buddy agree that this isn't worth doing, so you shallow up, and your average depth turns out to be MUCH shallower than anticipated. That's where doing average depth on the fly comes in handy, IF you are doing your decompression monitoring using certain types of tables.

Plan your dive and dive your plan doesn't mean diving in lockstep. It means agreeing on basic rules and the basic limits of the dive. Recreational (and even some technical) dives will unfold from there.

No, I disagree. For a recreational dive, we set outside parameters -- no deeper than, no longer than, use no more gas than. But within those parameters, the profile can DEFINITELY change. Suppose you do a site where you plan to spend 20 minutes around 70 feet, but when you get down there, it turns out there isn't much to see, or the viz is much worse than it is shallower. You and your buddy agree that this isn't worth doing, so you shallow up, and your average depth turns out to be MUCH shallower than anticipated. That's where doing average depth on the fly comes in handy, IF you are doing your decompression monitoring using certain types of tables.

Plan your dive and dive your plan doesn't mean diving in lockstep. It means agreeing on basic rules and the basic limits of the dive. Recreational (and even some technical) dives will unfold from there.
Nothing wrong in having backup plans, just add them to the slate and switch when condition warrant.

Agree with the "outside parameters".

Kind regards

....... My downloaded profile will tell me my average depth later when I get home, but that doesn't help me on my second dive of the day,.....
Simple .... don't wait until you go home to download logs from your dive computer :cool2:

I'm probably confused, are ther two versions of the Punk ??, my DC show average depth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom