Avila Beach Victim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spoke witha person at work today who had been to Avila Beach a day before the attack. She said there were many more seals than usual and a large number of porpoise very close to shore. Being that Avila Beach is a cove, do you think the shark had been in the outskirts and perhaps drove the seals and porpoise close to shore?

I find it amazing that divers insist this shark attack was mistaken for a seal, it was reported there were lots of seals in the vicinty, yet no one reported seeing a GW kill a seal (which usually occurs on surface), of all the critters swimming in the area, this GW decided to bite a human- zeN

zeN|| once bubbled...
I find it amazing that divers insist this shark attack was mistaken for a seal, it was reported there were lots of seals in the vicinty, yet no one reported seeing a GW kill a seal (which usually occurs on surface), of all the critters swimming in the area, this GW decided to bite a human- zeN

Do you really believe that ZEN???:confused: Unlikely, the seals were probably a less easy target. Furthermore, from what was said, it seems to me that once the GW (if it was that) realized that she wasn't a seal, let go. Doesn't that make more sense? Any can give a quick sharkology 101?

zeN|| once bubbled...

I can see some logic in the attack... say you're a shark and you see some seals.... they run going like a bat out of Hell then you see a really big slow moving silouette that looks like a seal from below.... easy target. It doesn't really matter what color wetsuit or even if there is a wetsuit. Look up at someone snorkelling sometime with a nice sun overhead. All you will see is a silouette.

If the shark was in hunting mode because of the seals, they are exited and might take the exploritory bite. Or is the target looks like a normal meal, a full on charge.

Slow moving target loses everytime. Same in all preditory animals... take the slow moving animal in the herd.

And another interesting point is that they recovered the body... with bites. Meaning once the shark realised it wasn't a seal, it released the woman. Unfortunatly way to late for her to survive.

Negative, Hodgson, the GW took TWO bites, and as far as 'misidentity,' I've seen tests where they dragged a rubber seal behind a boat at high speeds, videotaping it, and Great Whites would frequently streak toward the target, only to veer off at the last few feet -that demonstrates to me they are much more savvy than divers give them credit, I don't think we look, move or taste anything like seals. Frankly I think they don't like the way we taste zeN

..as for keeping sharks several miles off shore via technology...

What gives us the right to do that. It's the sharks home...not ours. We are the tresspassers, not them. Face it dude, there are risks in life. If the risk is too high for you, don't get in the ocean. Leave the sharks and the rest of us divers out of it. Maybe you need a device that keeps them out of your immediate vicinity...I'm cool with that....but to keep them several miles off shore (possibly severley screwing up there habitat and food finding ability) because you are scared?...you have no right.

I want to barge in and sit in your living room and watch some TV, but I'm afraid you might shoot me.. maybe I should drive you several miles away from your home via technology and then I would be safe as I record over your VCR tapes...sounds reasonable to me...how about you?

If you can't swim with the big fish...stay on the beach.

Swimmer Killed by Shark in California

AVILA BEACH, Calif. (AP) - A 50-year-old college instructor taking a morning swim bled to death after she was attacked by a great white shark 15 to 18
feet long, preliminary autopsy results showed Wednesday.

Deborah Franzman of Nipomo was killed Tuesday as she swam 75 yards offshore alongside a group of seals. Witnesses reported seeing a large fin as
Franzman screamed for help.

Lifeguards pulled Franzman to shore, where she died. Bite marks on her legs were consistent with those seen in previous attacks by great white sharks,
San Luis Obispo County sheriff's Lt. Martin Basti said.

Shark expert Robert Lea, present during the autopsy, estimated the fish was between 15 and 18 feet long.

``That's incredibly large,'' Basti said.

An unknown species of shark was spotted in the area after the attack, Basti said.

Franzman likely bled to death after her left femoral artery was severed in the attack, Basti said.

Franzman's death marked the 10th fatal shark attack in California since 1952 and the first death since 1994, according to state Fish and Game records.

Franzman was a sociology instructor at Allan Hancock College in Santa Maria. She swam in the area by the Avila Beach Pier several times a week, friend
Andrea Sanders said through tears.

``She loved it. She would talk about how fun it was to swim and play with the seals,'' Sanders said.

Franzman was wearing a full wetsuit and swim fins when she was attacked, Lea said. The state marine biologist said the shark may have mistaken
Franzman, silhouetted against the surface, for a seal. The sharks are ambush predators and attack their prey from below.

``The water was full of blood,'' said Antonio Neotti, 15, an aspiring lifeguard who was nearby at the time.

Avila Beach, located about 200 miles northwest of Los Angeles, was closed to swimmers after the attack.

Great white sharks are a protected species in California.

Sharks, and other wild animals that are dominant (apex) creatures of their enviroment, are proficient/efficient operating machines. The great white being among the top of that list. Even if the shark did not know exactly what the object it was honed in on was, they often will test with a bite. The fact that the first hit was observed as a rather powerful impact, tells us that the shark was not concerned with testing this prey. When a great white is locked in on its target, in most conditions it is ambushing the weakest, highest potential prey. A shark in an hightly excited, stimulated or aggitated mode will become a different animal, and depending on the type of shark, the situation becomes very dangerous. Alot of shark attacks (bites), are due to this situation and the person bitten is typically alone or isolated, as this is perceived as weakness/vulnerability. There are sharks that bite for different reasons, only a small number of sharks show this agression, but the great white is in a class all by itself. This is a sad and tragic situation, but sharks (wild creatures) are to be respected/understood but not feared.

I think the facts of this situation speak for themselves.

My condolences to the family and friends.

Safe diving to all.=-)

zeN|| once bubbled...
Negative, Hodgson, the GW took TWO bites, and as far as 'misidentity,' I've seen tests where they dragged a rubber seal behind a boat at high speeds, videotaping it, and Great Whites would frequently streak toward the target, only to veer off at the last few feet -that demonstrates to me they are much more savvy than divers give them credit, I don't think we look, move or taste anything like seals. Frankly I think they don't like the way we taste zeN

I saw the same show. One of the best documentaries I have seen. No fluff, no dramatics, just scientific curiousity. Thanks for reminding me of that one. I'll have to see if that's on video somewhere.

They were trying to prove that GW's "breach" .... The White took several of the rubber seals and ripped some of them to shreds. They fooled a few with the rubber seals, and got some really awesome slow motion breaching shots.

Who knows how many passes the shark made before deciding to do a couple of test bites on the woman. And test bites from a 15 to 18 foot shark would be a big bite radius and lots of damage.

We who enter the ocean do it with an understanding of the dangers. I was active in freediving for a couple of yrs and it is something that is in the back of your head. When we enter the food chain we dont do it at the top, at least in the ocean. I dont believe that the shark was doing anything other than hunting the weakest of the group and the result is known to all of us. I as well as many feel a personal loss when a member of my community suffers a tragic end like this. My condolances and a prayer at the surf line.
Bill.........Dive Safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom