“No masks that cover your nose” rules are driving me bonkers!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weird...our grand daughter just got certified and she trained in local YMCA pool. I was there in my mask too and, needless to say, her instructor, along with a bunch of other students. Their signs on the wall about the pool rules did not mention masks or goggles at all.

Weird...our grand daughter just got certified and she trained in local YMCA pool. I was there in my mask too and, needless to say, her instructor, along with a bunch of other students. Their signs on the wall about the pool rules did not mention masks or goggles at all.

YMCAs generally allow scuba instruction at specific times in scheduled classes with a certified abc agency instructor, lol, my wife and I have YMCA certs! That is not the same as swimming in the lap pool kitted out and breath holding or cavorting about in mask and flippers in the deep end. In one case, the scuba instructor is responsible, in the other the Y and the life guard are responsible

We never had any limitations like this back when I was a lifeguard in lakes and pools. I guess freediving got trendy enough to cause problems.

Is she signed up for the course yet? It's worth asking if you can use the shop pool for this before the class starts. Some shops also have open hours where divers can practice for a small fee.

That’s really good to know! Thanks. Unfortunately, we are going to delay the open water course for now. She actually has some ear issues that may or may not prohibit equalizing. That was one of the other reasons I wanted to go free dive, so she could see how her ears felt at 10 feet deepor so before paying for the course. While the ENT said it was safe to try, it’s a little too anxiety inducing at this time so we’re gonna wait til that issue is fully resolved.

That’s really good to know! Thanks. Unfortunately, we are going to delay the open water course for now. She actually has some ear issues that may or may not prohibit equalizing. That was one of the other reasons I wanted to go free dive, so she could see how her ears felt at 10 feet deepor so before paying for the course. While the ENT said it was safe to try, it’s a little too anxiety inducing at this time so we’re gonna wait til that issue is fully resolved.
You can work on equalizing with regular swim goggles (or no goggles). It's actually easier than doing it with a dive mask. Swim goggles are low volume enough that you can take them to 10 feet without any trouble and you only need to go a few feet deep to feel if you can equalize successfully.

When did they start banning masks everywhere? Am I going insane or is this relatively new?

They didn't, not "everywhere". I would confirm with your Y's Aquatics Director -- I see plenty of people in masks in ours.

Edit: now, if you're talking laying on the bottom in wetsuits and weights, then yes: the lifeguard is generally not trained to pull a weighted diver (free- or scuba) from the bottom of the deep end. That is not the same as swimming laps in mask and fins and snorkel.

Edit: now, if you're talking laying on the bottom in wetsuits and weights, then yes: the lifeguard is generally not trained to pull a weighted diver (free- or scuba) from the bottom of the deep end.
We certainly were when I was a lifeguard. A large part of the training is moving people around, including from the bottom. And I just checked and passing the submerged object retrieval test (aka brick test) is still required to get certified.

Here's the American Red Cross description:

"Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not permitted. Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping the face at or near the surface to be able to take a breath. Candidates are not permitted to swim the distance under water. Place the object on wall & exit the water without using a ladder or steps."

We certainly were when I was a lifeguard. A large part of the training is moving people around, including from the bottom. And I just checked and passing the submerged object retrieval test (aka brick test) is still required to get certified.

In the University pool here scuba divers were allowed as long as they're not solo. The guard in the YMCA pool told me the other day that rescuing a scuba diver off the bottom is not in the job description, "but ask the Aquatics chief" -- they do let groups, e.g. Fire Dept., in. The next time I see the Aquatics Director I'll ask her -- I have a new toy I to test-drive, and the lakes are cold and dark and uninviting.

We (pre-pandemic) would routinely be allowed to use scuba gear during "open swim" here in our Town at the school pool (Town offered open swim). In fact, had we not been there one fateful afternoon, there would have been a death. We noticed and rescued a youth from the bottom, extracted the individual from the pool and performed rescue breathing and cpr. all while the lifeguard was busy on her phone....

Program was shut down for a bit for some remedial action, and since, SCUBA has not been permitted...

Quite ironic I'd say..

This is definitely not a universal YMCA rule, as mine is perfectly fine with me and several others finning along with standard masks and snorkels. (albeit during lap swim and only on the surface except for turnarounds)

I would see if there are any private aquatics clubs/facilities that would be down with it, assuming it isn't some NYC/State thing. My LDS doesn't have a pool, so that's where we started our Open Water course.

Many lifeguards are using those rules to prevent Shallow Water Blackout(SWB) from breath-holding too long. Many people have died in seemingly safe pools and beaches that you can almost stand up in due to SWB. In most rules cases, the restriction is required by the facility's insurance provider and the lifeguard is just enforcing it so don't blame them. You can use the search feature above to learn all about SWB and how silent but deadly it is.
If pools are using a “no mask“ rule to try to alleviate SWB, something’s wrong. My first brush with SWB came during a swim team practice, and we weren’t even using goggles. We were having an underwater swimming contest. You don’t need to be wearing a mask to induce SWB. Somebody, somewhere, has it all wrong.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom