“No masks that cover your nose” rules are driving me bonkers!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie L

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Rant incoming! I posted here previously about working with my partner on some basic water skills to make sure she felt prepared for her Open Water course. I specifically wanted to practice breathing and swimming with a mask and snorkel.

We joined the local YMCA, only to be told by a lifeguard on our second visit that masks which cover the nose are not allowed. Nose plugs, however, are allowed. None of this was posted anywhere, not in the paperwork, not on the wall, nowhere.

What are the other options? A lake or the ocean, perhaps. The ocean is a little too unpredictable, so we drove 1.5 hours to a state park where we could swim in the lake. I checked the website, no posted rules about snorkels. We get there, suit up with wetsuits, weight belts, fins…again, the lifeguard stops us to yell, “no scuba diving!” I respond that I am not, in fact, scuba diving. But sure enough, the same rule exists. This time there is a sign posted that says no snorkeling, no masks that cover your nose.

Disclaimer: I understand that this is a young person just doing their job, I don’t fault them. But I asked if there was anywhere that I could swim at my own risk? Nope.

We still wanted to do some swimming/finning, so we left on our wetsuits and weight belts and did some 7-ft “free diving” (lol) without masks. THAT IS NOT SAFER!! The other option would be for us to find an out-of-the-way spot at the lake with no designated swimming or lifeguard, which is also not safer!

I understand how some swimmers might panic when their mask fills with water and increase drowning risk in that way, but as someone who grew up in lakes, pools, etc, I find it absolutely infuriating how difficult it apparently is for so many kids and adults to have a chance to learn how to swim with a mask. If I knew someone with a private lake or pool, I’d go there, or if I had an upcoming camping trip where I could swim at a campsite, or if I had a boat I could take out and swim from that, I’d do that, but none of those options are available. Public pools in my area have even more rules.

Swimming with a mask and snorkel is only unsafe if you don’t have the chance to learn to use it. I NEVER felt unsafe using them as a child, in fact, it made me capable of being more comfortable in the water.

When did they start banning masks everywhere? Am I going insane or is this relatively new?

....Swimming with a mask and snorkel is only unsafe if you don’t have the chance to learn to use it. ...
Many lifeguards are using those rules to prevent Shallow Water Blackout(SWB) from breath-holding too long. Many people have died in seemingly safe pools and beaches that you can almost stand up in due to SWB. In most rules cases, the restriction is required by the facility's insurance provider and the lifeguard is just enforcing it so don't blame them. You can use the search feature above to learn all about SWB and how silent but deadly it is.

Lake Hydra is expected to open in the summer. You'll need a divemaster.

Are you a member of the Sea Gypsies? They do local water things all year long, and clubs are a great source of information.

It is typically not allowed at most all swimming pools, no scuba equipment, no snorkeling and no breath holding. So you are breaking the rules.

But, saying that, some lifeguards will allow fins, masks, snorkels as long as it is strictly for lap swimming and no breath hold diving.

The specific concern is SWB.

Well, I'm originally from NY area too (Yonkers). Funny rules. Mask thing assumes you are not at all a "water" person and capable of taking care of yourself. All about liability-- someone always ready to sue the authorities. Why do you think I'm in Nova Scotia?......Now, try to find a place in CT. or L.I. where a non-local resident can legally park and go scuba diving and not pay a fee! This week I'll take my usual N.S. dive day, pull off the road to park free and walk into the ocean on an un-lifeguarded beach.

Well, I'm originally from NY area too (Yonkers). Funny rules. Mask thing assumes you are not at all a "water" person and capable of taking care of yourself. All about liability-- someone always ready to sue the authorities. Why do you think I'm in Nova Scotia?......Now, try to find a place in CT. or L.I. where a non-local resident can legally park and go scuba diving and not pay a fee! This week I'll take my usual N.S. dive day, pull off the road to park free and walk into the ocean on an un-lifeguarded beach.
While nice for you, it does not help the OP find a place to practice in the pool.

While nice for you, it does not help the OP find a place to practice in the pool.
I would suggest a finned swimming course. It is not free diving (no breath holding allowed).
But you will learn to swim very quickly and efficiently with long fins, to doplhin kick with a monofin, and to speed underwater pushing a small air tank in front of you.
Many finned diving instructors (as me and my wife) also teach how to free the mask from water, how to purge the snorkel, and other techniques which later become useful to scuba diving.
Another fun alternative is to join a team of underwater hockey.
My son is an underwater hockey player at quite high level, to the point that for two years he was in the Italian National team. So he did play this game all around the world...
But also practicing it at low level, with your local club, is very fun and instructive.
Be aware indeed that underwater hockey is done while breath holding, and during a match it is not uncommon that some player passes out...

Rant incoming! I posted here previously about working with my partner on some basic water skills to make sure she felt prepared for her Open Water course. I specifically wanted to practice breathing and swimming with a mask and snorkel.

We joined the local YMCA, only to be told by a lifeguard on our second visit that masks which cover the nose are not allowed. Nose plugs, however, are allowed. None of this was posted anywhere, not in the paperwork, not on the wall, nowhere.

Poopyheads making rules that make no sense anywhere except for the vacuum between their ears.

Wanted to practice finning in local city lap pool. Told the same thing.

Knowing more about the subject matter than the local "SME" gets frustrating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom