B/P Disorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iguana Don

Reaction score
Docs,

I have a friend that was certified last summer, it has come to light from another friend that he suffers from B/P Disorder. Can you tell me what, if any, affects this might have on his physical and mental abilities to dive? And also what I should be on the lookout for. We have made several dives together and now this worries me, should I be concerned?

Thanks

ID

When you say B/P - are you talking about blood pressure?

Just out of interest (I am always in here reading to learn more!)

Hi Iguana Don:

Hmmm, B/P Disorder... (Doctors have to say "Hmmm" a lot, especially when they're guessing.) ScubaBaby thought about the more common meaning of the B/P abbreviation; I'm going to assume that you mean bipolar disorder. Sorry if this isn't relevant.

Scubadoc has a lot of info on depression and bipolar disorder at:

http://www.scuba-doc.com/psych.htm

and

http://www.scuba-doc.com/deprssn.html

HTH,

Bill

The first thing I thought was "Bipolar" also, I don't know why, but silly me didn't even think about blood pressure.

But if it was Blood Pressure, wouldn't a good dive, as almost any positive exercise, be a benefit to such an individual? Or is there something about being at depth that should be of some concern for those with High Blood Pressure problems? Now of course, I am not talking about someone that is taking any number of blood pressure medications but rather someone that maybe knows they have the problem but are not taking any meds.

. . . .

ID, after my first thought of "Bipolar", can you guess what my second thought was? (dont answer that out loud) I had to re-read your post a few times to see if there was any hint as to whether that was what you were refering to. Especially when I read some of the signs of being "Bipolar" ....

* Heightened mood, exaggerated optimism and self confidence
* Grandiose delusions, inflated sense of self-importance
* Excessive irritability, aggressive behavior
* Racing speech, impulsiveness, Poor judgment
* Reckless behavior

A little bit worry-some if you ask me. Correction - A LOT worry-some!

But if it was Blood Pressure, wouldn't a good dive, as almost any positive exercise, be a benefit to such an individual? Or is there something about being at depth that should be of some concern for those with High Blood Pressure problems? Now of course, I am not talking about someone that is taking any number of blood pressure medications but rather someone that maybe knows they have the problem but are not taking any meds.

I hadn't ever really heard anything towards this because the convo always ended at ... "Well, if you're taking Meds" ... But not everyone takes them for one reason or another.

I have recently asked about Blood pressure - BillP kindly gave me a few links !

Heres the thread

Some aspects arent relevant but the main mass sound me helpful.

Blood pressure didn't cross my mind cause that is a no-brainer in my opinon.

Bipolar is what I am refering to.

ID

Didn't DAN magazine have a relatively recent article on this? You might want to check their website, but I think I remember seeing something along those lines...or at least about the effects of medication taken for a number of psychological disorders.

I checked out the DAN site and found these links for reports:

Report 1 (DAN)

And....

Report 2 (DAN)

Hope these are of some use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom