Back Inflate BC vs. BP Wings??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A very thick wetsuit with a big tank (some dive 131s around here) might push you to about 40
I've heard a couple people say this before.

Why would you need more lift?

If you're diving a single steel tank, won't you loose some weight from you belt, so wouldn't your total weight (tank, BP, and weights) be the same as with the aluminum?

He mentioned a thick wetsuit.

This will require more weight to sink, and to be neutral at 10ft or whatever, but at depth most of the buoyancy will be lost due to suit compression. Since you're using more weight, you need more lift to compensate.

To be honest, if you need a thick wetsuit you're better off with a drysuit.

cheers

r

I understand that, but why more lift for a steel tank.

If you diving a steel aren't you going to lose some weight off your belt compared to diving with an aluminum?

I had a Zeagle Stiletto. While I really liked it, I much prefer my BPW. Zeagle did wonders in creating a modular system for a custom fit, but the BPW is much more stable and "clean". I use a "HOG" harness; which is to say a single piece of 2" webbing which I adjusted once for a perfect fit. The BPW puts ballast across my lungs (plate).

D-rings are ideally located because I installed them as I adjusted the harness. My backup light is inconspicuously attached to one D-ring and the shoulder strap, tight to my body. I have Z-knife at one shoulder tight to my body and a knife on my waist strap where it can be reached with either hand. A reel is clipped off to the plate behind my right hip. And that is it for "clutter". Even my 40# DSMB is folded behind me between my back and my plate. (love making it appear in front of stunned divers unfamiliar with a Halcyon MC storage pack.)

Yeah, I prefer the BPW.

Scubaboard members…

I am looking for opinions regarding the back inflate BCD versus BP Wings set-up.

(example: Zeagle Ranger versus a custom built BP wing set-up)

I have found much information in this forum regarding back inflate versus jacket style BC…

But I am looking more specifically for the differences between the two back inflatable styles.

What are your likes and dislikes when comparing the 2 set-ups?

What are the major advantages and disadvantages of one over the other?

All information, thoughts or opinions are highly appreciated.

If this has been discussed already, please let me know…

Thanks,
Bill

WOW! An eight year old thread is now alive and well.

WOW! An eight year old thread is now alive and well.

I am not surprised. I bit on it. Devon Diver and others will be along soon. It will turn into either a bashing of any other BCD (Boyancy control device)or a instructor training bashing thread.

Spare Air?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom