back plate and wings vs BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deluca2799 once bubbled...
Back plates rock!

Yah they rock hard.

OMWW,

That's a big question.

Personally I have a halcyon eclipse and you will not hear too many bad things about halcyon in general.

Some of the other companies in the market are Oxychek, Abyss, Dive-Rite, and OMS among others.

My vote is for Halcyon personally because I liked the quality of engineering I saw present in them.

Mine is also a Halcyon but only because I wanted it right away and didn't have the patience to do the "order-then-wait" thing. I called ahead, then walked into NTD and walked out with one they had in stock - didn't want to have to get anything heavy shipped to Thunder Bay and/or lose half my diving season waiting for the order to come in via an Edmonton LDS. (DiveTech in Mallorytown also carries plates in stock and there might even be a store closer to you that does the same.)
Also, because of the way that Halcyon prices their "bundles", by the time I had bought the Pioneer wing it was abut the same price to get the plate and harness from them also, instead of from someone else. Gary Hoadley makes excellent and competitively priced BPs up in Barrie - if I had had the time to wait on it, I would have bought a weighted plate from him and shopped around for a wing - possibly even a used one from someone who was switching permanantly to doubles and might have a singles wing for sale. No regrets on what I have (except be nice if I had been able to wait for the Eclipse :D ), just wanted to let you know there are other, perfectly valid options.

Halcyon Pioneer 36lb works for me. Works like a charm. I got the SS backplate which I think most single tank divers in Canada use, it puts the weight on your back where it belongs. Then if you want doubles get an explorer wing and you'd b set.

just well like to express my thanks to everyone who answered my thread about my dilemma and that my decision between BCD and back-plate and wings is abit more clear, for me.
Plus no highjacking of this thread too great!!!
Later all.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom