Back problems and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tatakai

Contributor
Reaction score
Wanted to ask some questions to those that may have back problems. My surgeon said that diving was great for me and I am all excited about it. I was to do my 1st check off dive today. Ready to go and couldn't wait to get there and get in the water. Well water temp was 59 degrees and when the cold hit my back I couldn't take it. I had to abort the dive and I am so pissed about it. Who else here has back problems and dives and what have you faced diving good and bad? I love being in the pool and have no problems at all in the pool. From mask skills that I had problems at first doing all the skills on Friday and everything was great and I was ready to get in the quarry today. Going to try again on Friday and then Sunday for dives 3 and 4 of the check offs. Can't wait to get diving just need to get the back in the mood I guess.

Thanks all

Tatakai

There have been posts on back problems before and from what I have seen...Almost everyone on this board has some degree of back pain. Sounds like you had surgery. If so...what type...lumbar...cervical? Cold water is definitely a consideration with any joint or muscle. I don't know if you used a dry suit or what mm wet in that quarry dive. If you are going to dive in cold water I would think the best thing to do would be to invest in a dry suit. That's going to keep you the warmest. If not that...in 59 degree water I would go with nothing less than a 7mm. But you will find alot of people who have back problems. Just seems to go along with diving....

If cold water entering your wetsuit causes muscle spasms, you may want to consider diving dry. However, it also sounds as though you are just taking your first open water dives, and it may well be that your wetsuit does not fit you particularly well, and is admitting a lot of water initially -- this will also make you tense up and provoke spasms if you are prone to them. You might consider pouring some warm water into the wetsuit before starting your dive, so that the suit is already water-filled and you don't get that initial cold "rush".

I've also heard of people using chemical type heating pads in their wetsuits.

If there was anything intense about 59F water reaching your back you had a wetsuit that was either inadequate or ill fitting. I'll admit that I can't speak from the back problem side of your equation but in water 10 degrees colder I barely notice infiltration into my wetsuit.

Not knowing what you had for a suit let me suggest a 2 PC set consisting of a back zip fullsuit (like a jumpsuit) and some sort of hooded vest. It could be a hooded pullover chicken vest that stops at the waist or a hooded step-in with a thigh to cheek zipper. This will force the water that does enter to follow a labyrinth path and before it gets near you back zipper it will be quite warm and barely noticable as a trickle.

This does not mean you need to pile on the 7mm either. Bare has all of this stuff in a range of thicknesses. You're looking for the best protection without excess buoyancy that will drive the need for more lead. A 5mm Velocity and the 5mm hooded step-in would probably keep you content to a little less than 59F. You can always swap in a heavier item when things cool down in the fall or delete in the coming warmer months.

If you have back issues and need to manage your load consider this as well:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1191538&postcount=16

It's an adaptation, take your time do your homework. There's no question that the gear for the sport has a weight element to it but a lot of it can be managaed with some forethought.

Have a good, safe time on #3 & 4.

Pete

I'd agree with Pete. I dove in a local quarry recently in water that was 42-50 degrees and had no chill on my back. My hands and feet were certainly chilled at the end, but I felt no intense cold on my back. As a matter of fact, with the heat and sweat that I generate getting geared up, it is actually a relief to get in the water! Sounds like you either (1) had a wetsuit that didn't fit correctly or (2) didn't have a thick enough suit. I dive in a 7mm suit with a 7mm vest, hood, 5mm gloves and 5mm boots with diving socks.

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. The suit I had was a 5mm Farmer john. The shortie part is big on me and I think that is how the cold got to my back. I had a friend look at it for me after putting it on she could grab two hands full in the small of my back. Going to swap out for another suit on Friday and try to go again. To give you more information about what happened. We were doing the snorkle swap to regulator while we were swimming out to the bouy at the platform. its a good 65 yards to it. We were almost there and I had no problems at all. I heard someone grasping for air behind me and rolled over to take a look. When I did the water came pouring in and ran down to the small of my back. At first it about tool my breath away and then a second time the water came in my back siezed on me. Hope that I can get in the water on Friday and get the dives done and be able to finish up on Sunday. Thanks again everyone and I will keep you posted.

Tatakai

I have a crushed (55%) vertebra at T7 and a fused disc at C5. I have constant back pain due to T7, but very little neck pain from C5. The only pain caused by diving is when I swim in a completely horizon position. This forces me to bend my head back to look forward which causes pain in my neck. So I generally swim at about 5 degrees from horizontal. Cold water hasn’t been a problem…yet. I can tell you that the only time I’m pain free, is when I’m diving. Being neutrally buoyant has offered me pain relief without drugs. So don’t get discouraged, just take it slow. BTW, one thing I have done when diving in cold water is pour warm water into my wetsuit before entering the water.

I have had major back surgery in the past (spinal fusion of the lower lumber region). I have not noticed any discomfort diving other than climbing up and down a ladder with tank and weights on.

It sounds like you simply were getting too much cold water into your wetsuit. I had the same thing happen in the quarry except it was my abdominal muscles that started spasming.

I would recommend switching to a better fitted wetsuit or go dry. Heat packs would also work. I know of a couple of paraplegics who use them in the legs of their suit to help keep blood circulating.

Also be sure to let the instuctor and/or divemaster know about your back so they can be prepared for any problems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom