Back Roll Entry Head Injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The system you describe puts your safety in other people's hands. Do you want to be in control of your safety or not? Do you want to be subject to a lethal crushing head injury because some member of the crew is unclear or some idiot does not follow directions? Do you give a crap over whose fault it is when you have someone bash you in the head with a tank from 4 feet up?

IF you follow the rule of going in the proper order AND you refuse to roll if you see someone roll in before you who is forward of you, then YOU are in control of your own safety. The diver who rolls in could also be killed if they "land wrong" on another divers tank valve, for example.

I personally want to be in control and not subject myself to injury because other people mis-communicate for a few moments.

I foolishly thought from your original description that the crew was in charge of that system as well. I don't think you are saying that the divers in your system do it all on their own, with the crew totally surprised when they enter the water. Or are you? I have done back roll entries all over the world, using a variety of systems, and in every case I have used whatever system was ordained by the crew. I have never seen your system used anywhere. It may work just fine, but I have never seen it.

On a boat the crew is in charge of the entries. So what are you saying these divers should do if they don't like the system being used and prefer yours? Are you saying that they passengers should conspire among themselves to do it your way and roll off on their own, raising a middle finger to the crew as they drop?

I foolishly thought from your original description that the crew was in charge of that system as well. I don't think you are saying that the divers in your system do it all on their own, with the crew totally surprised when they enter the water. Or are you? I have done back roll entries all over the world, using a variety of systems, and in every case I have used whatever system was ordained by the crew. I have never seen your system used anywhere. It may work just fine, but I have never seen it.

On a boat the crew is in charge of the entries. So what are you saying these divers should do if they don't like the system being used and prefer yours? Are you saying that they passengers should conspire among themselves to do it your way and roll off on their own, raising a middle finger to the crew as they drop?

I gave a clear description. The captain says dive dive dive, when it is ok for the first diver to enter the water.

The captain says when to dive and each diver goes, after the diver has rolled who is aft of them. Pretty simple.. Relying on other recreational divers who are strangers for your safety is something I (try to) avoid.

if you have a better system, let me know. Everyone rolling simultaneously is theoretical safe, but if someone delays or goes early, you can have an accident.

Not sure where I suggested a conspiracy against the crew or flipping the middle finger?

Last edited:
The system you describe puts your safety in other people's hands. Do you want to be in control of your safety or not? Do you want to be subject to a lethal crushing head injury because some member of the crew is unclear or some idiot does not follow directions? Do you give a crap over whose fault it is when you have someone bash you in the head with a tank from 4 feet up?

IF you follow the rule of going in the proper order AND you refuse to roll if you see someone roll in before you who is forward of you, then YOU are in control of your own safety. The diver who rolls in could also be killed if they "land wrong" on another divers tank valve, for example.

I personally want to be in control and not subject myself to injury because other people mis-communicate for a few moments.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2014 at 09:30 PM ----------

LOL.. You call that a snapper??? Last week...:no:

[video=youtube;Ngktwzp4DTo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngktwzp4DTo&list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ& feature=share&index=2[/video]

That was the baby of the 14 reds----the 65# Cabrera wouldn't let anyone close........oh well, guess that's why he made it to that size.........here it is against 2 20+# RS..That's the closest anyone could get..

bigcabrerasnapper.jpg

Thanks for posting. I've never had to do a backroll, but like to have time to think about the possibilities before it's my turn, so to speak.

One thought- I had thought you were not supposed to go to sleep after a head injury without being checked for concussion first. I'm hoping you were not alone (mentioned no dive buddy). Anyway, glad it turned out okay and thanks again for letting us read about it.

That's just crap procedures. No one should back roll until the captain says so. If everyone is supposed to go at the same time then fine that works but if a person is late going then they have to wait to get the ok. If I miss the ok I wait to get my own ok, I accept that I may be on the boat for a minute or so while the entry clears but that is better than injuring someone. Sounds like a good example of what's wrong in the world, no one cares about other people anymore

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

When I'm cox'en of the boat I brief the divers on the entry type and order. Dive site and conditions will dictate the entry I want done. For me the responsibility for the safety of divers getting into and out of the water is mine. When using a commercial operator I expect them to, likewise, ensure my safety during entry and exit.

This "all going at once" procedure is not the best, but it's not bad, if divers follow it. We have several situations in diving where divers should follow a certain procedure (lost diver, air share, communication...) so I don't see this as being a flaw.
What happened here was that the second diver broke the procedure, didn't drop when he was supposed to and then dropped late without checking if it was clear and asking. If in doubt, don't roll into the water!

Geez...diving with a baseball cap. Oh well. The bonehead who dropped on you... well, when you dive in tourist spots, you get all sorts of divers... most of them deficient in one form or another. The drop itself sounded like a cluster$*@! - but that's what maybe you get in Cozumel for crew. All of my years diving commercially, we never had a drop like that. It's the crew's job to protect divers from each other.

Glad you're ok... condolences on living in Oklahoma. The knucklehead who dropped on you... I would never condone any retributive behavior, but seeing something like this, I might have torn some folks a new bodily orifice except I'm too mellow these days. Most of the time.

I haven't had to back roll yet. This thread has been educational for me. I'm looking forward to doing it sometime in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom