BACK STORY-- Challenger Deep Dive History-So Cal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam, I've dove the "end" of those tracks many times. It's truly my FAVORITE site off the whole Island, it's The Wrigley (P)reserve at Big Fisherman Cove. Lots of Bat Rays and Leopard Sharks in the shallow sand, Eels in the rocks, huge Kelp Bass and Garibaldi, large Lobster colonies, giant Sheephead, healthy Macrocystis, thriving populations of Senioritas and Blacksmiths and more abundance, size, and variety than most other island sites. It's truely like diving back 30 Yrs ago :D. My hope is the MPA's will make more of our ocean playgrounds like this. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Respect, Don

Don, you are always WELCOME -- hijack my posts any time on any board

Did you really go to the end? Dark & dirty and you are a better diver than I if you didn't experience the uglies..It is deep..It has always been dark
If you reached the end you then know why the tracks are there...

The tracks and other items were placed there in 1962 or 1963...hint ...hint.

SDM

Alright, I'll bite? The tracks today end at about the low tide line, West is the Isthmus Reef and the deep wall (dove it a few times) that goes mid fairway to about 15-20 fathoms I think? So what did they sink out there mid channel? Is that where the ugly Oarfish resides :wink:? Sheesh I was only 1Yr old in '62, you've got all the History...

I have a ton of old B&W photos of the Bathyscaphe Trieste II if anyone is interested. I was stationed on her in 1970. She was undergoing a major refit after the operations to survey the Scorpion off the Azores. I also have some photos of the Trieste (one) in the Navy yard in DC somewhere. Probably the best book I have seen on the TI is Seven Miles Down: The Story of the Bathyscaph Trieste: Jacques Piccard & Robert S. Dietz

Just to add to the history, the original Trieste was used to survey the remains of the Thresher a few years after her famous dive in the trench. I am not sure when but she was replaced by the Trieste II between the two submarine disasters. The TII had a working depth of 20,000'. The major difference was she could sit on deck without a cradle thanks to the addition of four legs. The TI required a pretty hefty crane to pull her out of the water and set in a cradle. Both had to be de-gassed to pull out of the water. The TII was supported by a floating dry-dock, the White Sands, and a tug of opportunity.

As far as I know, the TII's last major mission was surveying the remains of the Soviet submarine K-129 of Hawaii before the Glomar Explorer was built for Project Jennifer. I left for First Class Diving School weeks before she left for that deployment. Everyone was told it was a "Scientific Mission" and only a few people knew the actual purpose.

The technology behind the Bathyscaphes was to use gasoline (lots of it) for floatation. Iron shot was stored in silos fore and aft using an electromagnetic field as a valve. Shot was released for trim and fine buoyancy control but the idea was that all the shot would fall out when power was lost -- like when something goes wrong on the bottom and the batteries drain. For backup, both solos were held to the hull/gas tank by electromagnet levers so even if the shot got stuck the entire tub is dropped. All that gasoline is why they were so huge by today's standards. The TII held 67,000 gallons of Av-Gas.

Thankfully, syntactic foam eliminated the need for using gasoline as a virtually non-compressible buoyancy material. It varies by depth rating but the weight to volume ratio is far better than gasoline. It is basically bunch of varying size hallow glass spheres held together by epoxy. Most modern submersibles use it when needed, pump water for fine buoyancy control and trim, and drop weight (like batteries) for emergencies. Deeper boats today use Titanium hull$ and far more efficient batteries which dramatically reduces the amount of buoyancy required.

Last edited:
The Trieste dive was the beginning the US exploration Innerspace and outer space .

NASA was formed and funded and man went to the moon and returned

Man in the Sea was funded and the US had Sea Lab- divers living and working on the bottom of the sea
Then Barry Canon bough the farm on TV

The program became "Man on the Dock program"

NASA is now rapidly becoming "Man on the lauch Pad"

With Camerons dive -- and probably a movie-Once again people are becoming aware of Innerspace.
PERHAPS There is a possiblity of another wet NASA another Man in the sea?

Time will tell..

Outer space is fine but you can't grow rice on the moon...

sdm

You're tough Sam :wink:. I assume (from '62) it's not Marilyn Monroe's body (God Bless her), or the solid rocket booster from "Friendship 7" or Castro's personal Crucifix? And I don't like diving out in the middle of that high traffic channel.

Have a great day!

not to go too far astray, but I understand Branson is looking at diving the Puerto Rico trench in his Virgin Oceanic seaplane as well.
It will be interesting during the next few years to see how many more manned expeditions are launched, and whether the trend continues and significant information comes of it, or is simply a fad amongst people with money.

...The tracks and other items were placed there in 1962 or 1963...hint ...hint. SDM
I've seen the tracks but have never been to the end of them. Poseidon missile testing platform?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom