Backing off from technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am getting old but I'll continue to tech dive until the body just can't do it. That is for the family, myself and my dive buddies. What I have a hard time trying to figure out is since when is caving diving not technical? Caverns yes but caves?

I believe I'm lucky, the expenses aren't as much as they could be, since I blend at wholesale prices and maintain all my cylinders and regs. That certainly takes the sting out of the tech end.
A couple of weeks ago I was forced to go to the closest dive shop to finish mixing tanks because I didn't have enough O2 pressure for mixing for a short notice dive. I thought it wouldn't be such a big deal since it was not that much O2 and O2 is cheap. At the end of the day I ended up paying more than what I usually pay for a fresh T cylinder of O2 (333 cu ft)and all I got was a couple of squirts into some pre mixed tanks.

If I were to allow my diving to become dependent on said dive shop, I would dive much less.

Why are you considering the cornea transplant?
Corneal Hydrops Left Eye x 1 year now, but I still went diving even though I could only see a "white blur" out of my eye last year April (the white fluid is draining away slowly, and I've recovered about 70% of my visual field). Can function okay --probably shouldn't be driving a car though! I can now read my computer/bottom timer out of my general left side visual field. . . Unknown whether pressure effects due to diving or the inert N2 gas loading contributed to the condition.

However, my Ophthalmologist/Surgeon cannot guarantee that it won't rupture again in the future, hence thinking of electively undergoing a corneal transplant for the left eye.

Early in my diving career I realized technical diving wasn't practical, I'd never have the $ or time to ever do more than dabble in it, and infrequent dabbling in technical diving is a good way to get killed! I also realized my interest, such as it was, was due to the 'macho' factor/bragging rights, and not a genuine heart-felt desire to do it. I like 'deep' recreational diving, but not diving requiring military style planning so never got serious about it, and the $ and training/practice requirements are just too prohibitive. I'm perfectly fine falling off a boat and puttering about a reef, with no big plans/agenda, and no elaborate run time/gas switch spreadsheet taped to my arm!

Most tech divers dont use air. Or atleast the ones I know dont. The goal isnt to go into deco. The goal is to be able to conduct the dives you want even if that means going into decompression and making it back to the surface safely with your team. Air is typically not the best choice for this.
There are plenty of places where He is NOT available.

I don't disagree that air isn't always, and is often not, the best choice for technical dives. But just like you said, it's about the dives you want to do and if you want to stay past the NDL times, that means a deco dive. All I'm getting at is that there might be dives shallow enough to not require helium (150' or less maybe) that are still worth while, and would still be considered "technical" based on bottom times, amount of penetration, etc.

There is always a 'best gas' for diving. As others have said, physiologically, that is rarely air. Financially though, it might be air, within a narrow depth range.

It's valid to do extended (beyond NDL) dives within recreational ranges. I do this very regularly - particularly where some complex wreck penetrations are involved - as I dive frequently in Subic Bay, which has multiple large wrecks in recreational depth ranges.

The use of appropriate nitrox mix is the first step to extending your shallower dive duration. Helium becomes extremely beneficial at depths below 30m - as it reduces the effects of narcosis - a very valid factor if conducting penetration, complex tasks or otherwise find that high PN2 reduces your performance or enjoyment of the dive. On deeper dives, helium becomes essential for reducing PPO2 and risk of toxicity.

I've found one way to do lots of technical diving for very cheap - become a technical diving instructor. LOL

Almost all the open water technical diving I've done has been relatively shallow (by technical standards) but long . . . for example, we have a lovely wall at 120 feet out in Hood Canal, that is a fantastic scooter dive on a light helium mix, with a little O2 deco in the shallows at the end. That kind of thing I could see continuing to do. But the deeper dives on wrecks . .. not so much.

I suppose caves are technical, but I dive in Mexico, where it's not unusual for the max depth for a 3 hour dive to be 20 feet. It just doesn't seem the same.

Have you done the IJN Haguro and the liner Sun Vista yet?
Cruiser HIJMS Haguro, the last major capital ship battle action & sinking of WWII --at 68 meters depth-- would require additional training involving a rebreather CCR unit (probably a MX unit from UTD-San Diego). Compelling history, and still on the bucket list --but not really motivated to go anytime in the near future. . .

(First things first . . .gotta literally "see" what to do about my left eye.):wink:

I am the opposite in that I had every intention of becoming a "tech diver", took Fundies in prep for Tech 1, but then life changed. I met a woman. We fell in love and my diving slowed down (plus we are in the middle of a home remodel). She got certified and enjoys diving a little, but will never be more than a recreational diver, and at this point nor will I. I am perfectly happy diving at depths under the surge and always stay above 100ft. We have a good group of friends that are recreational divers and I just got one of my friends certified and setup with Hogarthian dive gear, which is what most of my friends dive with.

So that would make me the tech diver that retired before even completing the training.

Cruiser HIJMS Haguro, the last major capital ship battle action & sinking of WWII --at 68 meters depth-- would require additional training involving a rebreather CCR unit (probably a MX unit from UTD-San Diego). Compelling history, and still on the bucket list --but not really motivated to go anytime in the near future. . .

(First things first . . .gotta literally "see" what to do about my left eye.):wink:
Very interesting link to read.

Good luck to your treatment/operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom