Backing off from technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow what a great thread. It was actually a relief to me to see so many other people in the same boat.

When I started diving I absolutely loved it and so many aspects about it (the gear, the physical challenge, the mental challenge, planning, etc...). I fell in with a great group of people and we went diving quite frequently. Slowly but surely we progressed down the technical path (also while continuing recreational and teaching). Eventually there came a point where the requirements were too much for my lifestyle. Boat dives at specific times (early), high cost to always go on a boat, high cost of gas, more training and in the end it just started to feel like a huge time and money sink and a constant chase for "something more". Not to mention schlepping all the gear all over the place is more of a pain with doubles, deco bottles and the like. Eventually I realized that it just wasn't what I wanted anymore -- it had lost the fun. Unfortunately though, I'm on the east coast and while there are some ok dive sites I felt like I had started to basically "see all there is to see" in the area and didn't take as much interest in going back down to see the same set of rocks.

Since then I took a little break from diving beyond teaching the occasional OW class (picked up some other hobbies, work got more intense, gf, etc...). Since then I have found a new revival of interest in diving. I'm okay with a little (accelerated) deco, nitrox and reasonable depths (130-150'), but my new interest is in warmer more casual destinations. More life changes ahead provide more time and money and allow the potential for some vacation diving. I'm psyched about heading to the carribean -- but it'll be in a streamlined 18# wing, travel plate, short hose setup that doesn't cost huge fees to get there. And I really look forward to hanging out on the beach and watching the sunset without running the numbers over one more time in my head about amount of bottom time vs mix vs deco time and the like. (Granted yes, these issues all still need to be considered, but diving within NDL is no doubt less complex and therefore easier on the mind the night before).

Cheers to continuing diving without some push for "deeper / harder / more challenging / more machismo" and instead just taking some relaxing dives, cruising around neutrally buoyant and enjoying the scenery.

Now I'm back to looking for good deals on places to dive for longer term (>2wks) so I can do some "working remotely" on off days.

Yup, been there and made the same decision.

I used to do mega cave diving in central Fl and Ky. I actually helped map a couple of caves. Although I still love a beautiful cave, I got sick and tired of dealing with and lugging all that equipment around. It started to take all the fun out of the dives. Now, I just love rec diving in exotic places, preferably on a liveaboard and stalking critters with my camera. SOOOO much easier and just as satisfying. I have very little tech gear left.

Lots of factors involved, but part of the reason we moved to southern California was easy access to terrific wreck sites. If I had to travel, had to fight to get gas or frankly lived farther than 2 miles from the marina, tech diving would seem like a real pain in the arse. It's still a relative pain in the arse... even when you service your own gear, blend your own gas, etc. you rethink your priorities on those seemingly endless returns from 100m. For me, I'm still on the upside of the curve; a lot of my friends have rounded that corner.

I totally understand why people get into deep diving.

I totally understand why people get out.

I have been a caver for decades but got into scuba diving late in life (my 40s). I was really interested in cave diving, and so decided to pursue that path. Living inland, in an area with very little diving support, greatly complicated matters. In order to dive frequently enough to get ready for cave training, I had to start a full-service dive shop and compressor station in my garage to support my habit. I maintain all of my own gear, inspect all of my own cylinders, blend my own dive gas, etc.

It was a tremendous investment in time and money, but it worked wonderfully. I completed cave training and deco training about 4 years ago, and in the process became a competent gear & gas-blending technician.

But now... I'm not getting any younger and my girlfriend is not into technical diving. So while I still have dreams of diving deep wrecks in the Great Lakes and the Pacific on Trimix, etc., I am comfortable with backing away from technical diving. I love diving and my fiancee, and there's nothing better than blowing bubbles with her. In fact, we're getting married underwater in the Caribbean in a few months.

I suppose that if I win the lottery and retire early, I can always move to Tulum...

Doing your deco coming up a reef, I fail to see any mandatory negatives

The technical dives I did in the Red Sea were honest fun . . . single bottle, Al80s for backgas, and a boat that wasn't hard to get on and off. And deco up spectacular reefs. But the gas costs were still significant, and the question still arose as to whether we saw anything that made the difference in cost worthwhile.

I'm glad I have the training, and I'm glad I have the equipment to do a dive beyond NDLs if I want to. I just don't seem to want to very often.

I think the real question is how much did we each spend before figuring out that this was no longer on life's great path? I reckon about $5-10K minimum with training, equipment, gasses, equipment etc. If my wife should chance upon this thread, I will deny everything.

I'm farm animal stupid at 100 feet on anything that doesn't have helium in it. I just recognize the fact, and deal with it by opening my pocketbook.

Then dont do that dive.
I yet to come across any dive sites(OW) in SE-Asia that I would need He to dive to 60m. I don't speak for other divers.

I wasnt trying to debate deep air. If YOU need He and cant get it look for something shallower.

I'm farm animal stupid at 100 feet on anything that doesn't have helium in it. I just recognize the fact, and deal with it by opening my pocketbook.

Me too. Wisdom is in knowing thy self. Forget the money factor, that's definitely not what's driving you. If you really loved it you are in a position to do it.

We've never met but I find your thoughts and those of Bob (Grateful diver) some of the most balanced and interesting on this board. I've gone through AOW, nitrox, wreck certs and have thought about tech. Dive a BP/W set up and and love working on skills and becoming a better diver. But while I'd like to do tech it never really appealed to me in the fullest because of the place you've ended up. I know myself and I know I'd end up in the same place. I'm sure you wouldn't give back the experiences you've had doing while tech diving, it's likely been a great ride.

I've found great satisfaction in photography and light penetration wreck diving. I love the people I meet and get a great sense of satisfaction out of spending time in the under water world at 40-100 ft. I'm long past chest pounding and bravado. I have a great deal of respect for the tech divers and what drives them to depth. It's just not for me.

Rec diving can be a blast. Every dive can be a great experience. Don't second guess your feelings and take great satisfaction in having fun every time you strap a tank to your back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom