Backplate and wing question.so

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlickNick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
m considering bp&w and i want to get a good one that i will be able to use for years and years. Im not going to get into doubles this year but i will in a few. If i get a bp&w that can hold doubles can it still hold a single or do i need to hve doubles on it? Thx

m considering bp&w and i want to get a good one that i will be able to use for years and years. Im not going to get into doubles this year but i will in a few. If i get a bp&w that can hold doubles can it still hold a single or do i need to hve doubles on it? Thx

You'll need a different wing for doubles or singles. They're inter-changeable and take seconds to swap over. Some shops will try and sell you a wing "suitable for either" - but that's disingenuous you end up with a wing that's less than perfect for both (hint: most people end up selling them on...).

A single tank wing should be in the capacity range of 18-40L volume/buoyancy. Your exact requirements are dictated by your exposure protection (buoyancy), weighting and the tanks that you'll be using. On the low side, an 18lb is typically suitable for tropical diving; 3mm full wetsuit and AL80 cylinder. On the upper end of the scale, a 40lb caters towards cold water divers who might opt for a high capacity steel cylinder and pony. ~30lbs does for most divers. There are threads here on Scubaboard which illustrate how to calculate your necessary wing lift.

Some single tank wings come with an in-built single-tank adapter (normally sewn-in strips) to hold the tank steady. Others require a separate adapter, that is bolted through the wing and backplate.

For double tanks, most divers opt for a volume in the 40-60lb region. Larger capacity bladders are sold, but tend to be over-kill for 99% of divers. The drawback to an over-large wing is the 'taco effect' and air-migration around the wing.

Popular recommended wings on Scubaboard are Halcyon, Oxycheq and DSS. Tobin at DSS provides a very good consultative service for helping you get the right kit for your needs.

For the record, I use:

Single Tank: Oxycheq 18lb Wing on a Halcyon AL backplate with hogarthian single-piece harness.
Double Tank: Halcyon 40lb Wing on an OMS AL backplate with hogarthian single-piece harness.
Sidemount: Home-made 'frankenstein rig' built from my old 32lb donut wing with an OMS 'Profile' Sidemount adapter and Oxycheq Travel-Lite backplate.

BP/W rigs can accommodate either doubles or singles. Most will require an adaptor for a single tank; with doubles the bands that hold the tanks together have bolts that attach to the plate; a single tank requires a stabilizer and cam bands to hold the tank in place on the plate. It's best to use different wings when diving doubles and singles, with a smaller wing when diving a single tank; using a big-lift wing with a single is sluggish and messes with trim. I use a Hollis wing with 55 lbs of lift when diving doubles and a DSS wing with 26 lbs of lift when diving with a single tank.

You can use one backplate with both singles and doubles and vary the wing size. A 30lb wing works well for most singles, 40lb for doubles - larger tanks may require a larger wing.

I use an AL plate with my doubles so I can move as much weight down to help trim out.

The Al plate also works well when diving a single al80 and 3-5mm wet suit.

When diving a drysuit with a single tank I prefer using a steel back plate, as it helps with weight distribution. Combine a steel plate with a weighted Single Tank Adapter & steel single tanks = a reasonable sized weightbelt.

I personally dive a 20lb wing with my single wet suit set up
a 30lb wing with my single drysuit set up
a 40lb wing with my lp80, lp85 & HP100 doubles
And need a larger wing for the 104/130 doubles.

Hi Nick, Hopefully this will help your learning curve and save you some money from trying different gear. You live in Pa. which tells me most if not all your diving will be in cold water. I live in Md and went through a similar experience.
1. Get a SS B/P heavier the better, less weight to add.
2. S/Tank adapter adds weight and secures your rig without running your cam bands through your B/P. Easier to change out when you go back and forth to doubles.
3. If you can afford it,just get the drysuit now instead of buying a bunch of wetsuits trying to stay warm.
If you would like some one on one help from someone there in Pa. Jim Lapenta- 724-255-3765

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom