Backplate and Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now here in Sharm we dont have any dive rite or halcyon dealers. There is one dive rite dealer listed across the other side of the red sea in Hurghada and an email to Halcyon confirmed that they are also planning to open a dealer in Hurghada in May. This would make life much easier with these 2 brands as I'm sure I would have to pay lost of import tax if ordering online.
You would certainly not make a bad choice if you go with either DR or Halcyon. I have wings and BPs from both, and have no complaints. The others brands suggested (Oxycheq, OMS, Golem, DSS) are also of commendable quality. I also have OMS, Oxycheq, and DSS gear, and have had good experience with each. My Oxycheq Signature 50 wing is actually my personal favorite doubles wing, but I end up diving a Halcyon Explorer most often (Halcyon is a shop brand, whereas Oxycheq is not). If you end up deciding to order online I would echo the suggestion to at least contact Tobin at Deep Sea Supply to see what he could put together for you.
Well I want to use it with a single tank, but maybe in the future I will want to start diving with doubles. But for now its just for singles. Halcyon makes that very simple by having one wing for singles and different types for doubles.
With Dive Rite in terms of single tank diving there is the Travel EXP wing, but then there is the Rec EXP wing which is a hybrid designed for singles or doubles.
As others have said, it is probably best to go with a 'true' single tank wing now, and consider a 'true' doubles wing later. Having said that, I do use DR Rec Wings for single tank diving, and am comfortable with that use. The EXP is a redesigned (3600) version of the Rec Wing. Would it work? Probably. But, I agree with the other posters that you would be better seved with a smaller single tank wing at present.
But then there is the question of how much lift I want.
There are quite a few SB threads in which Tobin (DSS) has guided a poster through wing lift calculations. A PM to Tobin might also be of help in this.
Then there is the question of backplates, Alu VS Steel. Not sure about this yet, as Alu would be great for travel, but then Steel would elimante the need to wear much weight, I'm sure having it on my back is much better than having it anywhere else.
Several threads addressing this issue have appeared on SB, and a quick search may supplement the replies you receive here. The choice depends in large part on your size / body composition (e.g. how much weight you use now), your exposure suit, and diving conditions (fresh vs salt). You have also identified two of the primary convenience issues in the choice. I personally use a SS BP for all diving, EXCEPT wetsuit diving with steel doubles, and I travel with a SS BP. I do not think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' choice here, unless you are one of those rare, and fortunate, individuals who requires no weight at present with your BC, in which case a SS may be a bit heavy.

Thanks guys all those posts were very helpful, going on what you said I know I'm going to get a singles only wing and not a hybrid, still thinking about some of the other stuff, but will let you know what I end up with (another piece of my BCD fell off yesterday.....)
I would like to get some sort of pockets for my wetsuit, any advice on that?
Once again many thanks!

Once again many thanks!

There have been several threads about this on Scubaboard that I can remember. One rather good one just this week in fact. Not intending to be rude, but honestly, these rather common questions get asked over and over again on a board this large (with several million posts) so a quick search will likely yield the information you seek.

Best of luck with your purchase.

-P

.. so a quick search will likely yield the information you seek.

While not a fan of replying with a simple "do a search" sometimes it is best so here is the best way to search ScubaBoard in your case.

In your Google Searh box paste this and read the responses.

wetsuit pockets site:scubaboard.com

Once again many thanks!

A wealth of information via Search.

However, I did want to provide a link to Kidspot's custom wetsuit pocket page. In case the commercially available pockets (halcyon, dss, oxycheq, xs-scuba) are not available in your area.

Btw, I find some of the commercially available pockets too narrow for my liking. But at the same time you don't want a pocket that's too wide for your wetsuit or drysuit. Best thing to do is measure.

Back
Top Bottom