Backplate question from new diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the advice. Found a great deal on a DIVERITE package. More Traditional DIR setup than my original plan of a transpac. It will allow me to grow more as a diver and not have to upgrade many things. Gonna go with SS Backplate, HOG harness, Crotch strap, REC Wing THANKS!!!!!

Stephen Ash:
Prepare for the onslaught!

Well... it's not. The "P" stands for something specific that a TransPac rig lacks...

miked10:
Thanks for all the advice. Found a great deal on a DIVERITE package. More Traditional DIR setup than my original plan of a transpac. It will allow me to grow more as a diver and not have to upgrade many things. Gonna go with SS Backplate, HOG harness, Crotch strap, REC Wing THANKS!!!!!
FWIW - the Rec wing isn't at all DIR ... nice wing for recreational diving, but those of us who attempted a DIR-F class in one quickly found out that it lacks the stability of some other wings that are available in its price range (e.g. DSS, Oxycheq, Halcyon).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Affirmative on the Hammerhead. I have their Stainless Plate and the Aluminum. Also have a Fred T that I gave to my son. Both are great products. The Hammerhead prices out a little better and their customer service is outstanding. At the price of 316 stainless they can't be making much money on their "specials"
I use a Dive Rite wing on my plate and my son has a Halcyon . Its fun to swap rigs around. I bought a second harness kit and keep my aluminum plate set up for travel to those warm water sites. You'll love backplate diving. I bought two BC's before I went backplate. The biggest mistake in diving is buying something you'll be upgrading in a year or two. You are making the right move.
Dive Safe

miked10:

That's the current exact setup I am using for now. Started with a TransPlate, AL BP, and RecWing. Have just recently replace the TransPlate with the webbing and AL BP wil a SS one.

Enjoy your setup!!!!!!

Thanks for all the info guys. After renting the DiveRite stuff this weekend and diving the Niagara River with it I am sold on it. It performed awesome and being only my second dive sine certification it made me feel like a better diver. It was comfortable and it made me feel like I was flying. But that could have been the current as well (moving pretty fast). Fun none the less. And now I am officailly addicted to diving. Now I have to choose the rest of my equipment. Thinking ATOMIC M1's reg and octo, Dive Rite Nitek Duo Comp, and so more goodies to fill out the package. Cant wait til I am completely kitted up with all my own gear.

miked10:
After renting the DiveRite stuff this weekend and diving the Niagara River with it I am sold on it. It performed awesome and being only my second dive sine certification it made me feel like a better diver. It was comfortable and it made me feel like I was flying.

So...how was it going over the falls.

...thought you needed a barrel for that!

miked10:
Thanks for all the info guys. After renting the DiveRite stuff this weekend and diving the Niagara River with it I am sold on it. It performed awesome and being only my second dive sine certification it made me feel like a better diver. It was comfortable and it made me feel like I was flying. But that could have been the current as well (moving pretty fast). Fun none the less. And now I am officailly addicted to diving. Now I have to choose the rest of my equipment. Thinking ATOMIC M1's reg and octo, Dive Rite Nitek Duo Comp, and so more goodies to fill out the package. Cant wait til I am completely kitted up with all my own gear.

What's the rush? Take your time, learn about gear, and then pony up. Good that you liked the Dive Rite gear. They make nice stuff. Other people do too. Atomic regs may be a good choice, maybe not. Dive Rite Duo is a nice computer, but there are dozens out there that are nice, some cheaper too.

I ended up buying a Halcyon Pioneer, and like it very much. If I had it to do again, I would have bought the Eclipse. Very specific reasons that may not affect you at all. I am not battling which computer to buy. My top choice just got axed so I am on the hunt again. My current reg is an 11 year old Oceanic Delta. Looking to upgrade that too. All in time.

Don't rush into a gear purchase you'll likely regret in a few months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom