Backplate weight update-the ultimate setup!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prthd9:
I am considering a DSS rig and was wondering if there is a way to place about 4lbs of weight on either the upper left or right sholder. Anyone know?

A lot of people use XS scuba weight pockets:

XSSTW.JPG

They are $9 a piece at leisurepro, maybe cheaper someplace else. I put mine on one or both sides of the waist strap, next to the plate, but with 2 keepers you could place one anywhere on the webbing where there is space or on your cam straps. They are meant to hold up to 5# each, but can be a bit sloppy if the weights don't fill the pocket. I haven't heard of anyone putting them on the shoulder straps though. XS scuba also has 2# quick attach-on weights, but I don't know how well they work.

I use one with 4 to 5 lbs in it on the upper cam band when using a single 80 and a drysuit. I don't see how you'd need one way up on a shoulder strap. Also seems like it would really interfere with the shoulder d-rings.

prthd9:
I am considering a DSS rig and was wondering if there is a way to place about 4lbs of weight on either the upper left or right sholder. Anyone know?

DSS has plate weights that attach. I'm getting those because I have to order the small back plate and wanted more weight on the plate. They look pretty easy.

i originally bought the xs pouches to put them on my waist belt but it is really really unstable and makes the waist straps sag down. with the zeagle pouches are supported by the plate itself and are actually ment to make the weight ditchable. I was also really afraid that the xs bags could open accidentally. there isn't really much there holding it closed.

*Floater*:
A lot of people use XS scuba weight pockets:
XSSTW.JPG

You could burn a hole through the back of one of these, put in a grommet or two, and bolt it to the edge of your plate. I'm going to try that next. A nice inexpensive way to experiment.

Personally, I like weight on both back and hips, and really love the xs pockets pictured by Floater. I dive a bp/w with 6# steel backplate and the rest of my weight (12#) on my waist. These hold 5# max, so I have a 4 & a 2 on each side, with a 3rd pocket on the left to hold a spool, which means no need for a pocket.

Works great because when I go to warmer climes and use my 3mm, I dive with no ditchable and am perfectly weighted. OTOH, in water around here it is good because I can add the weight AFTER putting on my bp/w, which makes it easier to don.

Been quite a process, as I started with the halcyon acb12, moved to the dui weight and trim, and finally to this.

Cody, not sure why mine is so different (maybe you are carrying more weight?), but with my belt there is no sagging at all. And with that much velcro, no way they open easily. Unless you had those scary looking velcro on pouches someone else mentioned.

But like so many other things, it comes down to personal preference. These are perfect for me, but YMMV.

i suppose it does come down to whatever works!

Hank, when you dive with no ditchable weight what are you wearing for protection?

i will be in the keys in 2 weeks and i am not sure if i will have problems diving with my 6# plate and a 3mm suit, or 2mm shorty.

-C

Codyjp:
Hank, when you dive with no ditchable weight what are you wearing for protection?
My buddy? :) Well, I'm not wearing him, but you get my meaning.
Cody, in addition to that, I guess I don't see ditchable weight as that much protection. If I did not like weight on my hips I would go with those terrific bolt-on DSS weightplates and just remove them when I went to warmer water.

IMO, the potential for injury when dropping a lot of weight all at once negates the benefits of being able to. One of the things I like about the setup I dive now is that if (in the very unlikely event) my wing punctured at major depth and my dive buddy was nowhere to be found, I could simply open up the pouches and drop just enough weight to get positive enough to fin to the surface (and am rarely at a depth I can't kick up from with all my weight).

i will be in the keys in 2 weeks and i am not sure if i will have problems diving with my 6# plate and a 3mm suit, or 2mm shorty.-C
Cody, I don't know how much weight you dive with now, but as I mentioned earlier, I am neutral with a full 3mm and just my backplate. A 2mm shorty would probably make me several #'s negative.

If you feel you really need the ditchable weight, you have at least 2 choices: you can dive your current rig and take a 7mm or whatever you use now, or you can get one of those cool delrin backplates DSS has and put that 5 1/2 #'s in ditchable pouches. Unfortunately, they ain't that cheap :11doh:

hank harris:
My buddy? :) Well, I'm not wearing him, but you get my meaning.
Cody, in addition to that, I guess I don't see ditchable weight as that much protection. If I did not like weight on my hips I would go with those terrific bolt-on DSS weightplates and just remove them when I went to warmer water.

IMO, the potential for injury when dropping a lot of weight all at once negates the benefits of being able to. One of the things I like about the setup I dive now is that if (in the very unlikely event) my wing punctured at major depth and my dive buddy was nowhere to be found, I could simply open up the pouches and drop just enough weight to get positive enough to fin to the surface (and am rarely at a depth I can't kick up from with all my weight).

Cody, I don't know how much weight you dive with now, but as I mentioned earlier, I am neutral with a full 3mm and just my backplate. A 2mm shorty would probably make me several #'s negative.

If you feel you really need the ditchable weight, you have at least 2 choices: you can dive your current rig and take a 7mm or whatever you use now, or you can get one of those cool delrin backplates DSS has and put that 5 1/2 #'s in ditchable pouches. Unfortunately, they ain't that cheap :11doh:

Thanks hank,

I wasn't concerned about having ditchable weight either. i am in agreement that there is more to go wrong with it than right.

i think i will be wearing my 3mm suit and probably just my 6# wing and i will hope that works.

Thanks,
-C

neil:
You could burn a hole through the back of one of these, put in a grommet or two, and bolt it to the edge of your plate. I'm going to try that next. A nice inexpensive way to experiment.

Excellent idea.... I will try it, too....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom