Backplate weight update-the ultimate setup!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Currently, diving single AL80 and steel 100 when available. Unfortunately, in colder waters where various dry suit configurations are required (dry suit only to full underwear, dry gloves, etc) I've resolved the weight issue by securing additional weight to the SS BP with SS fasteners.

This allows me to wear a bit of ditchable weight on my waist belt (2-4lb) while a balanced pair of 3lb or 7lb weights are secured to my BP. The holes for the smaller weights are offset to ensure proper trim.

Cheers,

Jim
Insidenowing.jpg

Backweighnowing.jpg

Sideview2full.jpg

did you pour those weights yourself? Is so, what did you use for the form. I have thought of doing that but I would have used channel iron which would give straight sides. I like how yours are angled.

Zero:
Currently, diving single AL80 and steel 100 when available. Unfortunately, in colder waters where various dry suit configurations are required (dry suit only to full underwear, dry gloves, etc) I've resolved the weight issue by securing additional weight to the SS BP with SS fasteners.

This allows me to wear a bit of ditchable weight on my waist belt (2-4lb) while a balanced pair of 3lb or 7lb weights are secured to my BP. The holes for the smaller weights are offset to ensure proper trim.

Cheers,

Did you drill it on the plate by yourself? Any drill press can do it?

What kind of drill bit did you use?

Thanks in advance,

hoosier:

Thanks in advance,

anytime you drill into steel you want to make sure that you use a steel drilling bit with a hardened tip. Any home depot store will have them. take your time and don't let the bit turn black from the heat!

While you can drill them as mentioned above the best set up is a slow speed drill press and a constant stream of thread cutting oil. Many drills aren't slow speed however and you would be lucky to get though one hole with one drill bit. It's going to make it expensive to drill them yourself. I don't know where you are but see if you can find a metal fab shop. They may have a punch that can just knock holes in the plate for you. It's likely to cost you less than the drill bits. Good luck.

Greetings,

Highspeed drill bits with a bit of cutting fuild. Make sure to let the bit cut the metal - Don't push too hard and cut the hole with slower speeds. I had used a centre punch followed by a smaller bit, then cut the hole with the final bit. I clamped the BP in a vise and drilled the holes with a 18V cordless drill.

hoosier:

Thanks in advance,

Codyjp:
I ordered these for my Deap Sea Supply backplate/wing:

http://www.zeagleexpress.com/html/product/products.php?T=3&pid=288

and am SO happy with them. It puts the weight up high against my back and is almost completly behind my sides so you can't even see it. it fits super comfortable. I put most of my weight there and some on my upper tank strap in XS weight pouches. Eventually i will get the weight plates that tobin at DSS builds to replace the XS bags but that will come at a later date.

just an update for anbody looking. I have never seen anybody else using them so i though i would suggest it. And the gentleman at zeagleexpress.com (i can't remember his name right now) was really helpful and shipped it out for free.

Hi am new here and glad i found u guys.
I am using the weight on my backplate and i qurantee u is lovely. I bought mine from www.diveriteexpree.com.
I also got an Agirr BP weight and i am waiting to check it out. Still on back order.

Zero:
Greetings,

Highspeed drill bits with a bit of cutting fuild. Make sure to let the bit cut the metal - Don't push too hard and cut the hole with slower speeds. I had used a centre punch followed by a smaller bit, then cut the hole with the final bit. I clamped the BP in a vise and drilled the holes with a 18V cordless drill.

Affirmative trick. It sounds like a doable job. I don't have a press drill, but a hand drill. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom