Backplate Wing vs Traditional BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think my harness is HARD to get in and out of, but having done a couple of rescue classes, as student and victim, it's awfully easy to get somebody out of their gear when you can pop a couple of releases and they're out. Same with taking gear off in the water. But you can clearly tell that I don't think it's a BIG deal, because I own three backplates and no BC any more :)

I had the same experience with rescue class. The toughest thing was removing both the victim's gear and my gear while towing and providing rescue breaths. I found I was not able to remove my harness without missing a rescue breath. (5 second intervals) Granted, in a real rescue scenario I would simply leave my gear on until the victim was on the boat, or in the case of the victim wearing a one piece harness, just cut it off. Still, I have thought that I might add a single quick release if I ever actually work as a DM.

As an ER doc, I'd just say don't worry about missing a rescue breath. If you're towing somebody any distance and they're still not breathing, it's not going to matter.

I too just feel like typing. I agree with all of the post below. I have more than a couple hundred dives on a BC (Scubapro Classic, plus a dive here and there on regular shoulder-strap-adjustable BCs) and well more than a couple hundred dives on my BP/W setup--and I presently dive my BP/W setup. But I dive only single tanks, and typically dive four AL 80 tanks (used fully) in one day out on a boat--spearfishing. I dive with a group of spearfishermen, and we all change tanks, gear up, and jump in quickly. We hunt mainly in relatively low viz, peering into rock holes with dive lights--often in awkward upside down positions--in short, we are very active down there. Only me and one other guy--the only UW photograher in the group--wear a BP/W; he wears an old Jet Harness and travel wing (30 lbs), and I wear a Scubapro SS BP and a Halcyon 40lb eclipse (I don't need 40 lbs, but that's what I use); he wears a weight belt, and I use the smaller halcyon weight pockets, plus one XS Scuba pocket centered on the lower tank band (I also have another 2lbs with my halcyon STA). All the other divers use traditional BCs plus traditional weight belts.

In short, my rig is the most cumbersome, mainly because of the weight pockets, which I must remove each time I change tanks. Moreover, even w/o the weight pockets, my BP is heavier than a BC, and also because my STA uses two tank straps, I must change my rig on the boat floor and lay my rig on the boat floor. The other guys simply slide there one-tank-band BCs onto the tank while the tank is in its rack on the edge of the boat--so my rig is always rolling around on the boat floor with everyone tripping on it, while everyone else's rig is perched on the side of the boat. And if I install my weight pockets too soon, then the tank will roll to one side or the other, and possibly pinch the wing bladder. In short again, my buddies can be geared up and in the water faster and with far less effort than I can, so I am always gearing up earlier and taking a ribbing for being too enthusiastic rather than cool. Underwater, I like my BP/W, that's why I stick with it-- but a properly fitting minimalist BC would work just as well, and also offer more pockets for needed things. On the surface, I'm fine with my BP/W, even in choppy surf, but for long surface swims back to the boat using the snorkel, I'd rather be in the traditional BC, as the BP/W keeps my body a bit lower in the water and the inflated wing rides rougher on the surface.

One might say, why not just use a traditional weight belt with your BP/W? I wish I could, but at 5'5", I'm a bit too short to wear a weight belt without the BP pushing the weight belt down onto my hips. For someone tall, this would not be a problem--and I would recommend a traditional weight belt.

In short yet again, if you are a simple single tank diver, do yourself a favor and buy a simple but solid traditional BC--unless you like tinkering with something fun and a bit different. A BP/W is great fun, but it is no bargain and no better performing than a well-fitted, minimalist traditional BC.

My 2 cents.

I usually stay out of BP/ BC debates but for some reason I feel like typing. A good search will turn up a great deal of info but mostly it's BP users spouting the same logic. Most of what they say is true however there is a "yes but" that few ever attach so let me do so. Oh and yes I tried a BP and did not care for it, went back to my old BC.

Modular, this allows selecting a plate and wing appropriate to the application, and allows making changes when and if your application changes. Single tanks? Yes Doubles? yes again. Doubles and stages? sure no problem.

True but what you will find if you talk with BP users, they often own mulitple BP/wings set up for the vaious configs rather than changing between configs. The defeats the "buy only one' comment often made. At the price of wings, you can easily buy an inexpensive travel BC and a BP for doubles.

Allows easy replacement of any of the components.

Again, true but just how often do you actally replace a worn out BC? In addition there are BCs that allow you to change out components. Zeagle for one.

Moves 5-6 lbs up off your weight belt and onto your back. This often helps the diver get horizontally trimmed.

Or 3 lbs with an AL BP, many (most ?) BCs have trim pockets that allow the same thing....and your not stuck with one amount. Diving warm wet a SS BP will over weight me..actually an AL will also.

The back plate provides a stable platform / interface between the diver and cylinder.

This one I will agree with but for single tanks it not really that much of a big deal.

The harness is essentially infinitely adjustable.

So what? Most modern BCs have a fairly wide adjustment range. Unless I am loaning it to both kids and football players, why does it need to be "infinitely adjustable"? It's my BC, I dive it and rarely loan it out. When I do, I can adjust my BC very quickly, BPs take some effort to adjust and must be removed to do so. BPs are infinitely adjustable and also a real pain if you do.

No "hug" when inflated.

This assumes you are diving a jacket style BC, all back inflates (of which BPs are a subset) do not hug when inflated.

Often far less expensive than many "full featured" bc's

If you compair a BP to the "tech" bcs then this a fair statement, however many of us don't use or want one of the "tech" BCs...frankly if I was doing tech I would want a BP. If however, you compair features to features the the BP is on par and often more expensive than many BC's, esp if you use a SS back plate. Do a quick scan of Scubatoys and add up to cost. Be sure to include the cost of tank bands and pockets and weight belts and a STA if needed. Compair Halcyon equipment and the BP does not come close.

Crotch Strap allows the BP&W to remain stable, and not ride up at the surface.

And a crotch strap does the same thing on any BC....which is why my BC has one.

I don't dislike BPs, they are great pieces of equipment and if diving doubles they are by far the better choice. For single tank diving they will also so a fine job but a quality back inflate BC will do the job just as well plus add some creature comforts that many of us like. Quick easy adjustments, intergrated weights and a pocket or 2 for are really nice features I like on a BC...none of which a BP offer.

As an ER doc, I'd just say don't worry about missing a rescue breath. If you're towing somebody any distance and they're still not breathing, it's not going to matter.

While you are quite correct in 'real world' medical situations, as far as any assessment of divers within professional certifications (advancing from DM to AI etc.) the rescue scenario is part of the overall process. The ability for the candidate to remove gear (self and victim) while towing and giving rescue breaths every five seconds shows both mastery of skills as well as more complex problem management. For this reason most of the group I work and dive with either has added QR buckles to a harness or has some type of BC with releasable shoulder straps just for this purpose.

One plus to the BP/W is travel. If you are diving a BP/W then both the wing and the plate will pack much flatter, and if your diving an AL plate it will likely be much lighter as well.

I'm not going to get in the one is better than the other mentiality - but to me the above is a big plus.

From personal experience...

My Zeagle scout was somewhat lighter and could be packed just as compact (actually, more so due to lack of STA) as my current Ali BP with Mach V extreme 30lbs wing.

On land - the BP/W is more comfortable - the ali backplate manages to help spread some of the weight of the tank away from my shoulders and to my back. the Zeagle Scout was quite painful to carry for more than 20 or 30 yards. I could probably walk a mile to a dive site with my BP/W.

The BP/W set up is rock solid underwater. The Scout not quite so. The scout had a better harness system. I find the Oxy Cheq harness I use likes to get loose at times.

I need NO weight with the ali BP-W, with a 3/2mm wetsuit in tropical water.I needed 4lbs with the scout - though I never did do a test at the end of the dive with it to really see how little I could get away with.

I reality, it's personal preference, and i do prefer the BP/W from my experience. I know plenty who dont.

Z...

I would agree that a bp/w is a little harder to take off. For me, the tight hog harness interferes with me getting out of the thing while wearing a compass and a VR3 dive computer. However, I continue to use the hog harness because in the end, it offers the best fit for me while diving. So far it has only mattered when I have to do equipment removals and replacements during classes. While diving, I don't particularly want to remove my gear...I want to look at the pretty fish, or coral or wreck.

Someone on this thread made a comment about NASA. Their support divers use OMS bp/w setups.

mahjong, why do you have to remove your weight pockets to change tanks?

I have two XS Scuba weight pockets on the upper camband of my singles rig, and I never take them off. Nor have I ever had any problem with the weights pinching the wing. Nor do I need to put my rig on the floor of the boat to put it on a tank. Of course, I don't use an STA, but I don't see where that would change things much. My husband uses eight pound bolt-on weight plates on his rig, and he can change tanks easily, too.

Like you, in my open water class, they didn't mention the bpw. I happened to notice that all of the instructors had them sitting around the shop one day and I asked and looked at them. They were using dive rite, and OMS. I liked the clean front. The
BC's they were teaching us in had all the straps dangling out front and I didn't like the feel of the cumberbund, so I started looking at the various BPW setups. I settled on the halcyon because, frankly it looked to be the most bullet proof. I love it. There are a couple of reasons that stand out to me aside from the bulletproof issue. The wing is an oval, and it is continuous, so you can move air from one side of the wing to the other without going head up. The shape of the wing seems to allow me to maintain horizontal, head down, or head up trim easily, the air sort of moves around the oval depending on your trim( keep this in mind when judging the value of a wing with bungees). This wing has a dump valve on the bottom of the wing, so if you had an inflator failure, and you were trying to swim down to keep from corking to the surface you can grab the string on the dump valve and dump while you try to rip your inflator hose off. I hope that never happens, but you never know.
My.02, Bob

I just got back from a trip where the boat (panga) had racks in the middle. I was diving a 7mm wetsuit, with 24 lbs in the halcyon small pockets. It isn't easy to put your rig on a tank in the rack, but thats what i did. Halcyon and others make weight pockets that quick release, I just don't have that kind. However if the OP is mainly diving warm water, there won't likely be 24 lbs in those pockets either, so this may be a non issue.

Hi TS and M,

I don't absolutely have to slip out the Halcyon pockets (the smaller quick release kind) from the pouches, but I do--and I also slip the 2lb weight out of the XS Scuba tank band pouch-- because it makes changing tanks easier. I carry 6 or 7 lbs in each pocket--and with the 5lb plate, 2lb STA, 2lb trim weight--it's a heavy rig to move and maneuver onto a new tank. I have done it, but it's clumsy. And prefer to keep the rig on the floor without the weight pockets in anyway (see below).

I dive on a 45' Chinese junk with a homemade tank rack--tanks are held in place by a metal rod running lengthwise in front of the tanks. Most BC backpacks with one tank band can fit onto the tanks above the metal rod, my BP plus STA with two tank bands runs much too low to allow my rig to rest on the tank above the metal rod. Come to think of it, I have dove my rig on some dive boats where the tank is held firm with a rubber strap up by the valve and my rig can sit fine in these situations.

On the floor, full weight pockets roll my rig hard to either side, so the edge of the plate can pinch the wing against the boat floor or a neighboring tank (we have extra tanks--and eventually empty tanks--piled on the floor as well).

In short, at least in my diving situation, the BP/W is bit clumsier than a clean and simple traditional BC.

mahjong, why do you have to remove your weight pockets to change tanks?

I have two XS Scuba weight pockets on the upper camband of my singles rig, and I never take them off. Nor have I ever had any problem with the weights pinching the wing. Nor do I need to put my rig on the floor of the boat to put it on a tank. Of course, I don't use an STA, but I don't see where that would change things much. My husband uses eight pound bolt-on weight plates on his rig, and he can change tanks easily, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom