Info Backscatter Hybrid Flash HF-01: preliminary review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The announced HF-1 strobe looks very good, maybe too good to be true when price/performance is regarded...

I am highly inclined to preorder two, as I am searching for strobes with more power as my current Z330s have, which come to their limits in bright sunlight and clear waters with the FF sensor (Sony A7R5; for the MFT cameras I was using previously, the Z330s were strong enough). The choice in filters/domes for warming up the light and the remote operation without additional flash trigger seem also attractive...

There is another, similar, strobe announced: the Apollo III from Marelux. The Apollo has three linear flashtubes (HF-1 has two), uses three 18650 accus (= 136 kJoule (kW.s) in total) while the HF-1 uses two 21700 accus (=137 kJoule). Apollo III delivers 800 flashes at maximum power (=170 Joule/flash), while the HF-1 delivers 375 (=366 Joule/flash). These numbers are probably somewhat smaller, since the flashes will probably stop operation before the entire power is drawn from the batteries, but they may be a good approximation...

=> >350 W.s per flash (at 2x power) is highly exciting, but is the heat sink capable enough to prevent burn-out of the flashtubes?

=> Does someone here have experience with preproduction versions of Apollo III and could compare to the HF-1?

Thanks, Wolfgang
Does the Apollo III also operate as a Video light ? Maybe I misread the specs but it looks like it’s strobe only.

Does the Apollo III also operate as a Video light ? Maybe I misread the specs but it looks like it’s strobe only.
As far as I read the specs. - no, but there is a much weaker white and a red focus light included in the Marelux strobe. For me personally, this video light feature is just not interesting, it is more an unnecessary burden to me, so I did not pay attention to it...

Wolfgang

Late may is what the email said.

Well, we are all going to wait for your feedback and will be asking you lots of questions :)

You are the one who will either convince us to buy or not buy :)

Another member of the (soon to be) HF-1 owners club! I pre-ordered last night, and BS confirmed I’m still part of the first shipment which is still tracking for late May. But they did note that the first shipment is starting to fill up. Take from that what you will.

Some other tidbits I learned via an email exchange with a very helpful backscatter rep:
-Warranty is same as MF2; 1 year. Service/repair (warranty backed or otherwise) will be done at backscatter.
-The HF-1 and MF-2 function in the exact same way for all flash settings, including the SC/RC modes. Main difference is the HF-1 has more power and more power levels to choose from in Manual mode.

Another member of the (soon to be) HF-1 owners club! I

You take the lead and tell us all about it few months later please :)

pre order at the dive show in early april recently

with regards to canon ttl circuit.. they are working on it as we spoke at the show.

the sony ttl should be available once they send out the pre-order units.

u cannot use the 21700 from the MF on these strobe as they require much higher output current

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom