Backup computer for when your main fails while in diving trip ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really not necessary unless you're solo diving. Just follows the buddies computer on next dive of the day.

You're not wrong, apart from the question of following another diver's computer which is a whole discussion in itself. However, if you take this point of view, there is no value in carrying a backup computer for multi-day diving trips at all.

Hello,
My wife and I dive recreationally, lately we do mostly LOB.
Her main computer is a Perdix, and she gave me a Perdix 2 for Christmas.

We are currently on a LOB in the Red Sea, and my wife's Perdix died on the very first dive. One of the push buttons failed, fell off and the computer flooded.

Fortunately we also brought our old Suunto Vyper, and she's now using that. Last trip it bailed me out when my Eon Core started doing strange things.

But the Vyper is getting old and may not be too reliable.

My wife's Perdix will obviously get fixed, but we're thinking about getting a new computer to carry as a backup of the main ones if there are surprises.

We were thinking a Peregrine would be a good option. Do you think it makes sense ? Any others you would recommend ? Should we just go for an inexpensive Zoop or Vyper Novo and save the money ?

Thanks for your feedback.
I love my Sheerwater … and agree … ALWAYS have back up!

I love my Sheerwater … and agree … ALWAYS have back up!
I dive with a Datapro 3 (hose attached) and a Scubapro G2 with wireless sensor.

Your buddy's computer is not exactly correct, better to have your own backup for the current and subsequent dives.
Sure, for solo I also use a 2nd. The OP said he's diving with the wives.
Your computer isn't 'exactly correct' either. Unless you're diving significantly different profile it doesn't matter. The deco models are only roughly giving you numbers based on a model. It's not very precise. And wer still talking about NDL dive, not ones with long deco.
For the first 20 years of my diving I either had no computer or ****** cheap computers that ran different models. The older Suunto, Aladins, oceanic, etc. had pretty big differences on repetitiv dives but none got tons of people bent.
As long as you're doing NDL dives with a buddy, I don't see any real life issue with bringing a cheap computer as a spare on a trip.

Hi @Divin'Papaw

Do you dive one transmitter or 2? If one, do you dive a SPG?

I dive with a single transmitter and a SPG. In 13 years, 1850 dives, I have had 2 transmitters fail, one from an uncharacterized hardware failure and one from a failure of the overpressure valve. In each case, my AI on one or both my AI computers did not register tank pressure. I relied on my SPG for tank pressure and did not have to alter my dive plan. The same backup could be achieved with 2 transmitters. Both my transmitters were replaced by the Oceanic/Huish service plan for $120, a great service from Oceanic.

I have never missed a dive or a series of dives due to computer or transmitter dysfunction.

One transmitter connected to both computers, no SPG on the dive. I do have an SPG in my bag on the boat. I've never lost a transmitter on a dive and given that I only dive recreationally, if I were to lose the transmitter, I know my air consumption well enough that I would be able to easily complete the dive without knowing my exact pressure. I also always have a 40 cf pony with me as a fully redundant air source.

As a point of interest, I was on a Red Sea liveaboard last week doing recreational diving and in a kind of similar situation. I was diving with my HelO2. I usually dive with two computers, but sadly, it's twin brother died recently. I had my wife's Gekko with me as a backup, but didn't want to dive with it because it is significantly more conservative (different algorithms despite same manufacturer and the HelO2 has adjustable "personal" settings). If the HelO2 had died, I think the only safe thing to do if I wanted to use the Gekko would be to skip 18-24 hours of diving!? In an ideal world, you dive with two identical computers, or at least two computers running the same algorithm.

One transmitter connected to both computers, no SPG on the dive. I do have an SPG in my bag on the boat. I've never lost a transmitter on a dive and given that I only dive recreationally, if I were to lose the transmitter, I know my air consumption well enough that I would be able to easily complete the dive without knowing my exact pressure. I also always have a 40 cf pony with me as a fully redundant air source.
Yes, you and I can easily complete our dives in SE FL with our chosen cylinders without fear of running low on gas. That's not true for everyone.

If the HelO2 had died, I think the only safe thing to do if I wanted to use the Gekko would be to skip 18-24 hours of diving!?
What exactly would be the issue when diving according to the buddy's computer for the day?

This is 100% false. That is just about the most irresponsible thing you could say in a thread about backup computers.

Edit: I ride the line with a lot of scuba "rules".. following a buddy who may or may not have had the same dive profile leading up to said dive is fire I would never play with. You're just asking to get bent.
If one is following buddy diving teaching from OW for recreational NDL dives, diving different profiles to your buddy is not taught as a valid method of buddy diving.

How exactly is your buddy supposed to be your alternate air source if you are diving significantly different profiles to make a difference?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom