Backup light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
I know you aren't supposed to hot restrike them. But I don't use my backup lights all that often, and I don't usually take them apart and charge them every time I do. So I might use one for ten minutes on one dive, and 15 on another (usually for practice purposes). What I have heard is that, if you do this, you won't get the two hours or so that the battery is rated for, but maybe as little as 20 minutes because the power drain of STRIKING the light is so much greater than the amount required to continue to power it. I don't have this experience, because I don't have a hand-held HID light, but I have read this on line and wondered if you guys had run into it.

I could see this using Alkaline but not NiMh or Lithium’s if you are using it as a backup I would recommend the use of lithium’s.

jtivat:
...and the new OMS head lamp (which is a very nice light with a ****ty switch).

I know this thread is getting a little past it's expiration date, but I wonder if you could elaborate on this? I have a couple of OMS Vegas, and the light output is startling...if this has the same output, I would have to imagine it would make a great recreational travel main light. We also have a couple of the Nocturnal (3)LED Lights and the Vega doesn't loose much intensity next to them...I would say they're at least 70% of the usable light output and with a nicer/tighter beam. Could you maybe post some photos of the switch operation and give some detail on what sucks about it?

Thanks much,
Trey

Hey Trey -

I'm after a small backup that can also function as a travel primary for clear water night dives - do you thing the Vega is up to it?

Cheers,
Rohan.

TSandM:
I know you aren't supposed to hot restrike them. But I don't use my backup lights all that often, and I don't usually take them apart and charge them every time I do. So I might use one for ten minutes on one dive, and 15 on another (usually for practice purposes). What I have heard is that, if you do this, you won't get the two hours or so that the battery is rated for, but maybe as little as 20 minutes because the power drain of STRIKING the light is so much greater than the amount required to continue to power it. I don't have this experience, because I don't have a hand-held HID light, but I have read this on line and wondered if you guys had run into it.

That's because you can't power an HID bulb from the battery directly you need a ballast. So what happen is when you turn your light on, the power from the battery charge the ballast and the ballast power the bulb. if you turn the power off, the electric charge that was in the ballast is lost and never used. If you do that back and forth you waist a lot of power. Think of it as a flash camera: if you charge your flash but don't use it and turn the camera power off, that electric charge is lost. If you turn you camera and flash on a gain, the flash need to recharge itself... Hope I make sense :wink:

btw, the same thing would happen with a canister light, but since the batteries are larger on those, you would,nt feel it as much.

tlessard:
I know this thread is getting a little past it's expiration date, but I wonder if you could elaborate on this? I have a couple of OMS Vegas, and the light output is startling...if this has the same output, I would have to imagine it would make a great recreational travel main light. We also have a couple of the Nocturnal (3)LED Lights and the Vega doesn't loose much intensity next to them...I would say they're at least 70% of the usable light output and with a nicer/tighter beam. Could you maybe post some photos of the switch operation and give some detail on what sucks about it?

Thanks much,
Trey

The switch is a cap on the side that you twist mine is very very hard to turn even after lubrication. A friend has two and his switches are fine, I might call OMS and see what they will do.

Tassie_Rohan:
Hey Trey -

I'm after a small backup that can also function as a travel primary for clear water night dives - do you thing the Vega is up to it?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Absolutely...it's an amazing little light. About 60-70% of the output of a 10w HID/triple 3w LED. I think you'll be impressed!

Thanks for the info JT. I think I'll give one a shot and see what it's like!

jtivat:
The UK Q40 eLed uses four AA cells and uses an ABS and polycarbonate plastic construction (not sure what that means but the stuff is tough) on the body with a rubber coated lexon head. UK claims it uses a 2 watt emitter and has a double optic system which gives a some what square beam that is pretty wide. The output claims 40 lumens with a 4-5 hour burn time. The Q40 eLed is a nice light for the price ($39) but I would not put my life on the line with it. There is no rear attachment point and it only uses one o-ring. I consider it a great backup light for a warm water night dive but not the inside a Wreck in Lake Michigan at 160’.
I'm looking into getting one of these at the moment. Could you tell me where the $39 price is from ? Is it an online shop ? Just been looking at prices here in England and it's looks to be about £39 !! Almost twice the price - was gonna see if it's cheaper to get in sent in the post. And don't worry - you won't catch me "inside a Wreck in Lake Michigan at 160’" with it - far too cold. Want it for shining into cracks and crevices on day dives in the tropics.
Cheers !

Bubble Junky:
I'm looking into getting one of these at the moment. Could you tell me where the $39 price is from ? Is it an online shop ? Just been looking at prices here in England and it's looks to be about £39 !! Almost twice the price - was gonna see if it's cheaper to get in sent in the post. And don't worry - you won't catch me "inside a Wreck in Lake Michigan at 160’" with it - far too cold. Want it for shining into cracks and crevices on day dives in the tropics.
Cheers !
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Q40minieLed
or
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-31/026096/Underwater-Kinetics-Mini-Q40-eL.E.D.-Plus.html

for a start...

Cheers - but it's $62 shipping with Scuba Toys !! That's a no go then !! Got a reel shipped over by Dive Rite Express earlier in the year and that was cheap shipping ! Oh well, back to the drawing board. :(

I had reason to hand off my OMS Vega to my buddy last night- it has startlingly good liht output, and I was using my Sartek 10w can light- very comparable, we were night diving and it worked great for the remainder of our dive. And yes, we were on the way back in at that point, so were in essence "calling" the dive...slowly.
gomi_

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom