Backup lights material: Aluminum or Delrin ~ which is better and are both DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweitz:
http://www.gue.com/equipment/lights.shtml

A link is worth a thousand words.

I would choose Delrin over aluminum because it holds up to being banged around better. Delrin doesn't ding up like aluminum or oxidize. Of course, Delrin is black ... :wink:
:wink:

If my Al light gets dented, it would take a small truck or large ship to do so. This thing is just bulletproof. However, one of them is blue. That may violate rule#6. :wink:

Evad, let me pose a solution to you. Go to the www.gue.com website, get JJ's email address, and ask him directly. Then let us know what he says.

I know you can get white Delrin, it was a joke :)

Mark

You guys are funny.

DD, how many dives do you have on it?

Mark

mweitz:
You guys are funny.

DD, how many dives do you have on it?

Mark

About 150 on the black one, and maybe 50-75 on the blue one.

That wasn't my quote- I just screwed up the formatting!

Dan Gibson:
DD,

I beleive Delrin is DuPont's name. Acetyl is the generic name and can be purchased in white.

Therefore you get credit
03.gif

detroit diver:
That wasn't my quote- I just screwed up the formatting!

Dan Gibson:
DD,

I beleive Delrin is DuPont's name. Acetyl is the generic name and can be purchased in white.

evad:
I'm interested in why DIR doesn't recommend what seems to be a simpler, more foolproof design. They seem to think about these things. I'm also interested in opinions about the validity of my initial assumptions about two different light designs.

I don't see how having the entire body being aluminum is truly of any consequence in the overall operation of the light. If the light is constructed, cared for and used properly, it won't matter if it is made of either material. But seeing as you are picking nits, I'd say that aluminum is a less logical choice because it conducts electricity whereas delrin does not. Never know when you might be diving and surface in a thunderstorm.

I agree with DD though:

Detriot Diver:
Go to the www.gue.com website, get JJ's email address, and ask him directly. Then let us know what he says.

Interesting that one of the backup lights pictured on the GUE website and listed as "acceptable" has a plastic body (UK SL4).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Interesting that one of the backup lights pictured on the GUE website and listed as "acceptable" has a plastic body (UK SL4).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
You mean the picture that says "Copyright © 2000 Global Underwater Explorers"?

Clearly nothing at all has changed in 5 years :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom