Backup lights material: Aluminum or Delrin ~ which is better and are both DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
You mean the picture that says "Copyright © 2000 Global Underwater Explorers"?

Clearly nothing at all has changed in 5 years :wink:

LOL ... things change all the time.

What I'm pointing out is that GUE doesn't seem particularly concerned over what a dive light is made out of ... so it's rather pointless to be asking if a light made from a particular material "is DIR" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Since the thread has evolved from "Why isn't Alum DIR" to "Of Delrin or Aluminum, which is the better design and why?"....anybody object we move this thread out of the DIR forum to equipment?

DD, can you post a picture of your al lights? I'm curious how they look with lots of use compared to the delrin.

Thanks

Mark

mweitz:
DD, can you post a picture of your al lights? I'm curious how they look with lots of use compared to the delrin.

Thanks

Mark

Not much to look at, but here ya go:

Well, it looks better than I expected after that many dives. I retract my statements about Aluminum :D

Mark

Other than a few minor scratches, it looks about like it did the day it came in new.

One caveat- I dive mostly fresh water. Although it's been in salt a few times, it's mostly local lakes, Great Lakes, and pond diving. Can't speak for full time salt immersion.

lamont:
as someone who currently uses delrin backup lights, what problem do the Al lights solve?

They eliminate a failure point.

evad:
They eliminate a failure point.

Would that be the failure to keep a few bucks in your wallet? :wink:

My only issue with delrin lights is that they're reasonably expensive. And from what I've observed and experienced, they're subject to failure about as often as non-delrin lights. Most of them will turn on when you don't want them to due to pressure (draining the batteries), and I've seen (and experienced) my fair share of floods.

Frankly, I don't see delrin lights as being any more reliable than any other variety.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom