Backup Mask, Prescription or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The answer is no if you mean the "back up" mask you intend to carry. That should be the smallest little folding mask you can find. If you mean a spare mask you might keep in your bag, yes, it should be the same as the mask you wear or at least as good.

I do not carry a spare mask for no overhead or soft overhead dives. I am fine with no mask and will simply make a leisurely ascent if I were to loose it which I cannot recall ever doing, but maybe I did somewhere sometime, dunno. You know, if I were with a buddy and lost my mask, how exactly would that happen? But anyways, I would just continue the dive, no big deal. If I am solo, I would as I said, after sorting things out, make a leisurely and not hurried ascent.

If your strap breaks, you realize, a mask will stay on without a strap?

N

Having a mask with funny vis may still be nicer than having no mask at all. Your tematecan decide if it really comes to that. I only carry an extra mask if losing mine would be a problem. Basically on a challenging dive I don't want any unnecessary added challeges, so I carry the extra mask.

...However, it was mentioned during the class that all equipment carried by individual team members are part of the team's shared resource...

My spare prescription mask is not a shared resource of the team, it's my spare mask and it has my prescription lens, and I'm not willing to have it any other way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom