Backup Wrist Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An alternative might be to have a basic knowledge of the dive tables, to plan your dive, and then to dive your plan. In a fairly regular dive profile you really need only a watch and a depth gauge for back up. I do the reverse, with my watch and gauges as primary, the computer as back up. I may lose a couple of minutes that a computer would permit, but trying to squeeze every possible minute out may not be the best approach to diving. If you have a lot of air remaining, spend some of it at 15 to 20 feet if the reef has a shallow area, or practice buoyancy skills at that depth.

having had another computer die on a trip to Cozumel (no luck with Suuntos of late) I'm considering a backup... I'll be getting a Cobalt 2, but want something else in the god-forbid moment. I'm aware of the limitations of the B.U.D., but curious how well it'd mate with the Cobalt to do what it's supposed to - namely, as a set it and forget it device that hangs on a BC. I'd only press the button to set Nitrox (if applicable), otherwise I want something that shows me depth/NoDeco time in case of failure of my primary.

I'm also mildly concerned about the plastic clip, and just how robust that is... Here in Canada it runs almost $300, but if it does what I want it to, it seems money well spent (and FAR less cumbersome than worrying about a wrist mount)

Why was dual algo bothersome? If you set it to the same as Suunto, isn't that good enuff?

Because they use a different algorithm model.

If I were using two wrist computers I would want them to be the same type, algorithm and set to the same conservation factor. However, if I were using something like the Bud, I can see there is logic to setting it conservative. Frankly, my backup computer is my brain. I still plan all dives and run tables in my head. Yeah, we all seem to be developing a habit of riding/milking the no deco graph line on our computers rather than planning a dive and diving the plan, guilty as charged.

N

meh, I caved and bought one... :) Now I've got to research just what model best suits the Cobalt (I'm assuming RGBM)

An alternative might be to have a basic knowledge of the dive tables, to plan your dive, and then to dive your plan. In a fairly regular dive profile you really need only a watch and a depth gauge for back up. I do the reverse, with my watch and gauges as primary, the computer as back up. I may lose a couple of minutes that a computer would permit, but trying to squeeze every possible minute out may not be the best approach to diving. If you have a lot of air remaining, spend some of it at 15 to 20 feet if the reef has a shallow area, or practice buoyancy skills at that depth.

Back up computers are useful in liveaboard situations where you have already done 17 dives back-to-back and 10 more to go and your main computer busts. Doing all that math using dive tables may turn a pleasurable dive liveaboard into a math-class and people diving in recreational capacity may not appreciate that if they have paid 3500 dollars for a trip to have fun.

Heh, I did my first pool session with my Cobalt2 and (brand new) BUD, got out of the pool, and the BUD is telling me to change the battery.

Not exactly sure that a brand new, out-of-the-packaging dive comp should last less than 45 min battery time, huh?

There's no "off" button, of course, and now it's just wasting more power flashing CHG and BAT. Good times... Should I buy a backup for my backup?! :)

Back up computers are useful in liveaboard situations where you have already done 17 dives back-to-back and 10 more to go and your main computer busts. Doing all that math using dive tables may turn a pleasurable dive liveaboard into a math-class and people diving in recreational capacity may not appreciate that if they have paid 3500 dollars for a trip to have fun.
all live aboards I have been on lately require a computer. no computer? No dive!
If your computer dies, then you are done for the day unless you have an active backup computer.

My backup computer is the exact same model as my primary. I leave the backup in my bcd pocket so it actively tracks my dive profiles and is ready to go if my primary dies.

I bought the backup as a used "needs battery" unit on eBay. I actually bought several since I was not confident that I would get a working unit after battery swap. But $35 and $65 was worth the gamble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom