Backward kick hard to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure I would put much faith in those videos -- they are subpar in showing correct technique. For example, in the back kick video, the diver drops their knees almost the entire time. In the Helicopter Turn video they are essentially 'slinging' themselves side to side.

Sparticle, I think you are way overcritical. The knee dropping in the back kick is minimal; the subject's frog kick is exemplary, and the helicopter turn is not at all bad. There is Andrew Georgitsis demonstration quality, and then there is how real people dive . . .

I'm not sure I would put much faith in those videos -- they are subpar in showing correct technique. For example, in the back kick video, the diver drops their knees almost the entire time. In the Helicopter Turn video they are essentially 'slinging' themselves side to side.

There not all that bad, a wee bit over exaggerated yes......no amateur video is going to be perfect.

Here is an idea....you are GUE/DIR and all....demonstrate this in a new video of yourself preforming it as you think it is to be done and provide it to all those wishing to learn from an expert. :)

There is Andrew Georgitsis demonstration quality, and then there is how real people dive . . .

LOL.

I'd settle for Andrew-Georgitsis-on-a-bad-day quality. His watermanship never ceases to amaze.

Yeah, unfortunately, I did three weekends of work with Andrew and never really got to see him dive. He was always above and behind me, and about to wreak havoc . . . :)

Yeah, unfortunately, I did three weekends of work with Andrew and never really got to see him dive. He was always above and behind me, and above to wreak havoc . . . :)

LOL. Good times.

There not all that bad, a wee bit over exaggerated yes......no amateur video is going to be perfect.

Here is an idea....you are GUE/DIR and all....demonstrate this in a new video of yourself preforming it as you think it is to be done and provide it to all those wishing to learn from an expert. :)

Certainly.

I have a video of me doing a decent back kick but it's in *.wmv format and I need to cut it down a bit -- I'll do what when I get time.

Here is me doing a slow helicopter turn with 3 stage/deco bottles. My buddies and I were in a quarry messing around with bottle handling one day and I decided to join the fun (other than this I was mostly behind the camera for this dive). This was my first time in that particular DSS wing and first time trying more than 1 stage/deco bottle. Two were light and one was heavy...that made for some interesting theatrics while getting them attached. :11: I'd like to think it's decent for my first try.

If you'd like a critical, honest review of myself:
  • Unnecessary finning at the beginning and end of the video to help hold position (again -- not used to 3 bottles at once, slightly off balance)
  • Isn't the best video to demonstrate helicopter turns, since half of my fins are out of the shot. The purpose of the video was just to get some footage of me using 3 bottles, not to demonstrate a kick. Even so I hope you can get a good idea of what it looks like.

TSandM:
Sparticle, I think you are way overcritical. The knee dropping in the back kick is minimal; the subject's frog kick is exemplary, and the helicopter turn is not at all bad.

In all instances you are correct -- the knee dropping is minimal, the frog kick is good, and the helicopter turns is better than what you'd see with 95% of divers and it accomplishes the goal (to pivot around a single point without using your hands or disturbing the bottom).

My point in posting was that the technique could be improved and watching videos that aren't essentially perfect leads to students thinking that the drill should be performed the way it's shown in the video. If you're going to have a demonstration video, make sure it's the best possible one you can find or create -- you owe it to your students (or anyone watching to help develop their own technique) to demonstrate skills with a high level of finesse and expertise. However, I agree that there are technique/demonstration videos, and then there's real diving...and it is important to know the difference.

I have been trying it, and improving with some success. But it is very hard. I find myself going upward more than backward.

Upwards would hint possibly at your trim being wrong - if slightly head down during it the motion can pull you upwards.

Style of fins seem to make a huge difference to the ease of performing a backward kick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom