Backward kick hard to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwards would hint possibly at your trim being wrong - if slightly head down during it the motion can pull you upwards.

Style of fins seem to make a huge difference to the ease of performing a backward kick.

Actually, I would bet money that the OP is rushing the back kick.

Most new back kicking divers hold the position of fins close to their butts to long and don't hold the fully extended position long enough.

With the fins close to the butt, the diver starts moving in the head down position. They don't hold the fully extended position long enough to straighten out before doing the next cycle.

My point in posting was that the technique could be improved and watching videos that aren't essentially perfect leads to students thinking that the drill should be performed the way it's shown in the video.

Well, if people could perfectly emulate the fellow in those videos, I'd be happy. Most of us never come anywhere near close to what we can see on video, and in fact, I'd imagine that only us uber-compulsive folks even really notice the differences between the videos posted and the footage in Andrew's DVDs. :D

With the fins close to the butt, the diver starts moving in the head down position. They don't hold the fully extended position long enough to straighten out before doing the next cycle.

Interesting thought, Jeff. I've never seen anybody point this out before.

Certainly.

I have a video of me doing a decent back kick but it's in *.wmv format and I need to cut it down a bit -- I'll do what when I get time.

Well you did have a video....and you did give it the old college try!! :)

I make it a practice not to critique ones diving skills via a video or over the 'internet'....as it really is not fair.

Practice makes 'perfect'.....well least gets us into the ballpark..... :D

Back
Top Bottom