Question Lube for dry gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a little zipper lube. If it gets too slick just get a clean rag and buff it back down to part lubed instead of full lube. I have a happy spot between too much and too little lube. O-rings on Kubis.

If you are using a lot of force, you are doing it wrong and it is only going to get a lot uglier until you learn to do it right. The stories of people having to pry gloves off with spoons, are idiots. Proper amounts of lube, press them on square to each other (machined tube fitting into a machined tube, not a Tupperware lid that bends and twists. Well that is Kubis, don't know what you have and maybe they are fine being bent and twisted?

The KUBI website says "We do not recommend the use of silicone based lubricants, as this can be absorbed by orings, causing issues." Somewhere else they mention that silicone and other lubricants can cause the orings to swell. They specifically recommend their NARX-OX oil.

The KUBI website says "We do not recommend the use of silicone based lubricants, as this can be absorbed by orings, causing issues." Somewhere else they mention that silicone and other lubricants can cause the orings to swell. They specifically recommend their NARX-OX oil.
I hadn't seen that or didn't care to look... been using silicone on my kubi for the past year with a mix of spit on occasion. Maybe it's because I very lightly coat the outside of the o-ring or because I just don't do it that often. Nearly 50 dives and the o-rings are still going strong.

Hey Guys
I just bought my first drysuit.
Got my gloves fitted on the rings and everything. When I tried to put them on myself it was really hard to pop them into the seal on my drysuit. Are there any recommendations to make it a bit easier or are they supposed to be extremely snug? Any type of lube that might have helped you in the past?
Really appreciate your answers!
The Waterproof Ultima dry glove system comes with silicone grease specifically for the o-rings. From the Waterfproof manual

“Be extra careful of the sealing parts on the suit ring and glove ring. If it becomes hard to don and doff, add some Silicone grease to the sealing o-ring.”

What brand rings?

I used to use the official lube for my Kubi's, but find spit works better: just give them a lick when putting on. The comments you'll get while licking your gloves will be an added bonus...

I find the edge of my plastic reel/spool the perfect size to pry the gloves off at the end of the dive.

Oh, and in the category of advice that you didn't ask for: I found it hard to get the red rings onto the Kubi fittings when setting up: until I found that stretching them open using a tapered cocktail shaker made the perfect o ring applicator device...

Cheers,
Rohan.

As others have said, just use spit, if using any lube do not use much, easier to get on maybe,, and easier to pop off if you drop in to the water from a jetty or boat, your issue at the moment will be the nack of getting them on, also breaking the seal to remove is best done with some plastic used as a gentle lever like a 2mm thick piece of card (or line marker)

What brand rings?

I used to use the official lube for my Kubi's, but find spit works better: just give them a lick when putting on. The comments you'll get while licking your gloves will be an added bonus...

I find the edge of my plastic reel/spool the perfect size to pry the gloves off at the end of the dive.

Oh, and in the category of advice that you didn't ask for: I found it hard to get the red rings onto the Kubi fittings when setting up: until I found that stretching them open using a tapered cocktail shaker made the perfect o ring applicator device...

Cheers,
Rohan.
Completely agree

Hey Guys
I just bought my first drysuit.
Got my gloves fitted on the rings and everything. When I tried to put them on myself it was really hard to pop them into the seal on my drysuit. Are there any recommendations to make it a bit easier or are they supposed to be extremely snug? Any type of lube that might have helped you in the past?
Really appreciate your answers!
I use the same zip lube that I use on my drysuit zipper. The one that looks like a lipstick. Don't apply it to the glove, apply it to the cuff. Just buy the cheapest one you can find.

Works like a charm.

View attachment 827114

I just put a bit of silicone grease every 3-4 dives

Back
Top Bottom