Backward kick issue...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
Just curious: Would switching to a steel tank help, or are you more concerned with being sure you've nailed the skill under ANY circumstances? I would think it would be a lot harder to get "butt light" with a steel tank that never gets positively buoyant.

More concerned with the skill - especially since I don't have much trouble with it the rest of the time. I even made sure in the clip in question I was kicking into the current so that problems would be more evident.

Steel tanks are not easily obtainable around here (AL80's unless used are hard enough to come by) though I could always mail order one - plus no one can fill them to rated pressure :( In time I'd like to pick up a couple 120's or 130's though... but that's after getting a camera... and a second reg set... etc..

Aloha, Tim

When you see video of the back kick done correctly edge of the fin is cutting through the water on the power stroke, not the top surface. Power is really derived from the side of the lower leg, not the fin so much.

Many folks, myself included, find that initially the back kick is really the "back and forth" kick, due mainly to fin position during the "load" phase.

For the beginner the fins (due to poor position) actually imped during the load, and add little to the power stroke.

Believe it or not back kicking is easier without fins. No fins means no push forward during the load. Being able to actually go backwards at least a little is a huge boost to the struggling beginner who may be convinced he will never succeed.

Try it, it helped me.

Tobin

Sloth:
I just hope someone will provide more insight into what Tim is doing wrong. I have a sneaking suspicious that my back kicks looks the same. :wink:

I do like the suggestion of letting your feet sink to the extended position instead of forcing them out. I think that might help me keep from losing my momentum when I do start going backwards... keep giving him pointers people >.>

Well, I gave my opinion. Without seeing a video of you it's kind of hard to say.

I just hope someone will provide more insight into what Tim is doing wrong. I have a sneaking suspicious that my back kicks looks the same.

I do like the suggestion of letting your feet sink to the extended position instead of forcing them out. I think that might help me keep from losing my momentum when I do start going backwards... keep giving him pointers people >.>

A lot of it is simple practice ... trial and error ... actually mostly error :wink: Guess it's time for me to go err some more :D I know it will come, just trying to clean things up as much as possible and see if someone else saw something I was missing - I have appreciated the brainstorming everyone has done, sometimes a new perspective just helps to clear muddy waters.

Aloha and Mahalo, Tim

Tim,
It looks to me like your dropping your knees a little to much. When you keep your knees up you actually move back quite well. I would say that you need to clench your butt checks on your loading stroke to keep your knees up and your back arched. Remember a slow kick is better than a fast one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom