Bad Buddy... no cookie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also agree Big Dawg :D

BiggDawg:
Agreed.

I might also add,
Any conversation that starts out with when paired with a new dive buddy "I was certified by {insert name of dive agency here}, so I am better than you" would definately not be a dive buddy with me. :11: Sounds like a complete Jack@@s :eyebrow:

:death2:

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of hearing this too...

bradshsi:
..."Worst dive buddy pairing I had was not a pairing but someone who invited themselves along with my regular dive buddy and myself. This person was a photographer (and a very experienced diver). However he tagged along at the last minute with no agreed dive plan. Descending he immediately made off to photograph stuff. I didn't know what else to do but keep close so we spent the rest of the dive circling within vis range of him."...
Remember this quote paraphrased from Mark Twain: "You can generally only be as taken advantage of as you allow yourself to be."

Next time, say "No."

It's actually pretty easy.

Them: "D'ya mind if I team up with you?"

You: "Yes, I mind. That won't be on the plan today."

If pressed, you can give a reason if you want to, but you are under no obligation to explain yourself to anyone - you spent hard-earned cash to be out on the boat. It's your dive. You paid for it. No one has a "right" to dork up your dive.

If you choose to engage further, try one of these:

"I don't dive with <fill in the blank with whatever> 'photographers, lemmings, strokes, weenies, the clueless, guys with BCs from earlier than 1960'", etc. etc.

It is written nowhere that you must accept every lost soul who approaches you to buddy up. This is an expensive sport, and one that is occasionally fatal. Considering that a dive buddy can get you killed, it's worth a minute of your consideration to realize that you are not obliged to buddy up with ANYONE.

If people get on you for being discriminating, tough crap. The same guys would likely come to your funeral wearing baggies and sandals.

That said, if you want to dive with someone unknown, fine. I do this frequently, and have met some great people this way.

But never feel obligated to jump into the ocean with a diver just because they asked. If you hear an inner voice telling you something isn't quite right, listen to that inner voice.

Next time someone pops up on you with a casual last minute "How 'bout we link up for this dive, right?" look them dead in the eye and say "No. Let's Not."

It's generally real effective.

Plus, your dives stand a much better chance of going according to your dive plan.

YMMV

Well he really wasn't that bad of a buddy but...

I went one day to Dutch Springs quarry (alone) to check out my old unisuit drysuit that I had not used in atleast 5 years. I never really dive there but just wanted a convienent, local place to test it out and see if I could still dive a dry suit before I headed for a vaca in Maine.

I usually dive alone, but the quarry staff were pretty watchful and sorta caught me before I could sneak in alone. They were nice enough and helped me to quickly find a party of three divers who were just about ready to descend and they agreed to let me buddy with them (although they said I was to primarily buddy up with one particular man).

They quickly explained that they wanted to do a kinda long surface swim out and then descend to look at something or other. I immediately agreed to the plan and all four of us headed out on the surface swim. They hadn't really discussed any details of the dive plan with me, but I didn't care since I just wanted to test the suit and they seemed confident about what they wanted to do. I was compelled to "follow the rules" and dive with a buddy.

I ended up, much closer to "my buddy" on the swim out. The other two were 50 or 75 feet away for most of the swim. We were on our backs and "my buddy" had his hood pulled down, I guess since it was warm on the surface. I tried to make some causual conversation with the guy on the swim, but he seemed like a real dick! He totally ignored me and never responded to any of my comments. I just figured he was a jerk and was pissed that he got stuck with me.

When we got to the appropriate spot, we grouped up and all four of us started to get ready to descend. It was pretty obvious that they weren't too experienced since it seemed to take a while. Finally, after about 3 minutes, they were all ready to descend, but I noticed that my buddy had failed to pull his hood up from around his neck. We were headed to 80 feet or something, which is well below the thermocline. I politely reminded him about the hood in a casual manner and he continued to blatantly ignore me. Then one of the other divers signaled to him to pull the hood up (using a pantomine) and he quickly pulled the hood up and re-set his mask.

I was really getting tired of this crap and was seriously considering ditching the threesome as soon as we descended. Maybe one of the other divers could sense that I seemed a little upset, and then he said to me, right before he put the reg in his mouth "You do know..... he is deaf, don't you?"

I about laughed my butt off on the descent and had an awfully good time watching these divers communicate underwater...They all seemed to know sign language and they were having quite a discussion down there.

trucker girl:
Well, I looked through 10 pages on a "dive buddy" search and didn't see this so I am wondering what BAD dive buddy experiences people have had. We can all talk about GOOD dive buddies- but what are some red flags or bad experiences you have had?

Drift dive in Boca, 3 of us splash in, I have the flag, we hit the edge of the reef together, and off we go! 2 mins later I turn around and only one is with me. I ask him where our 3rd was, and he shrugs. The guy thumbed the dive and hit the surface without letting either of us know. and he surfaced away from the flag! (naturally).

Then he did it again on the second dive. I know, it's only 45 feet, and I would be a little put out if I had to swim you back up the line (the other guy would have been more peeved). If you want to go up, at least let your buddy know...

Just say NO.............there is no need to ridicule or bash someone becase you don't feel like diving with someone, just say no. If you have to be honest about why, explain to them why and what they would need or get them in the rght direction (PADI or SSI are generaly should not be a resone ie cerification bashing :argue: ). Most situations are the two pared up without any real talking before the dive and not understanding what the plan is to simple buddy signals. One should take the time to cover all of the basics before and when you get in the water. :uptosome:

Steve Courtemanche

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom