Bad day in Anacortes .... lost camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandman98007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

Went diving with Deep Sea Charters in Anacortes this past Sunday. Has a great first dive on PeePot rocks. We then went to James island and then *#&* hit the fan. Jumping in I hit the water and turned to get my camera ... Just then I noticed my left glove was flooding. I reach for the camera, raised my flooded glove at the same time, and lost the grip on my camera. I tried to dive and catch the camera, flooded glove be damned, but it was too far down to reach. The current was about 1 knot in about 50' of water, so we went to find it. This area of the island was a 50-degree slope with boulders and kelp. We searched, but no luck.

I am asking that is anyone finds this rig ... I will gladly discuss a reward for its return. The rig is sealed tight and the power was off, so in theory, it should be fine.

The camera is a Nikon D90, Ikelite housing, Big Blue 3x5 focus light (black), Dual kelite D120 strobes.

I thought insurance would cover this, but after talking to them, they stated that I did not have the policy set up correctly.

If you find it, please let me know.

Thank you

Tim e.g cpt.bungee

Ouch.....that's about $6,000 AT THE BOTTOM....I wish you the best of luck...the people on this board are the best if anyone finds it I'm sure you wil hear. Did you have your name on it anywhere?

Ouch.....that's about $6,000 AT THE BOTTOM....I wish you the best of luck...the people on this board are the best if anyone finds it I'm sure you wil hear. Did you have your name on it anywhere? And how was your insurance set up????

As for name ... no .... that will be corrected ...insurance ... well they will cover the camera which was itemized ... as for the other gear ... i specifically ask if that was need in the itemization and the person setting up the policy stated it was not .... it's the wording thing .... stuff attached to the camera is covered up to a specific amount and that does not cover the cost ....

We are setting up a camera rescue dive for the 7th .... hopefully the dive God's will smile at upon us.

Wow..double post....I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. I know if I had dropped mine, I would be heartbroken.....Make sure you keep me posted....I actually bought a dog tag at the pet store and engraved all my info on it, and zip tied it to the case.....

I will be sure to drop a business card inside my housing before diving tomorrow.

I'm surprised Tim hasn't dropped by yet for the closing chapter of this amazing little story ... four of them went back this past Saturday ... a week after losing the camera ... and found it. Better still, he turned it on and took a few pictures before coming up and celebrating ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is GREAT news! I myself had a camera flood in the Bahamas this summer and yeah - insurance troubles to boot. Agh! Fortunately, my loss was miniscule compared to what might have happened here.

I just have one suggestion for Tim (and don't know how this works because you're clearly in a cold water set up and I dive the tropics), but...

Several years ago, I bought this bungee cord type of thing that snaps on to my BCD. When I'm in the water and I get my camera from the dive master on the boat, I snap it right onto this bungee cord. So I don't have to worry about holding it and I can always just let the camera case and strobe drop and dangle if I need both hands. More than once, I've needed to do that.

So if you can figure out a similar system, I would strongly advise it.

But I am SO glad you got the camera back - fantastic!!

Trish

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this site ... but yes ... the camera was found in 50' of water at the gps location logged by deep sea charter. I found the camera lodged between a couple of rocks ... turned it on and took a few pictures. Man was I relieved.

I appreciate all the support for the PNW dive community, and all your supportive comments. Hopefully .... This will be the last lost camera post from me ever.

Thank all.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom