bad dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yep - get the flag with the lobster buoy, not the styrofoam. they suck

Haha. This same exact thing happened to me Monday. I am pretty sure I know the exact type of flag you're referring to. I was scallop diving in Boston Harbor and I descended very quickly so I would land on a scallop bed due to current only to find my flag sitting on the bottom next to me since I didn't let out enough line. I didnt have my normal flag with me, I was borrowing one of the boat's flags. I ended up just carrying the flag and using my SMB/spool as a makeshift flag since I always carry one.

The dive flag you have probably isnt very buoyant and is extremely easy to pull down if you're not paying attention. On a shore dive, it usually isn't compressed enough to sink for me but this was the first time I experienced the same thing you did.

I attached a picture of the flag in question. Is this the same one you're referring to? I dont recommend these flags at all for that reason that they're very easy to pull down if you're not paying attention to them
View attachment 99737

That's the one! (or darn close) I am going to try to rig a new foam device to it for next time. It came down very easily!

My first time with a dive flag, game bag, very cold water and an unfamilar location. Had not been in the water in 5 months so I'm sure I was a bit disoraganized and probably contributed to the issue so no harm. Can't wait to go again!!

I'm glad I saw this thread. Ironically this Monday I have a scallop dive and I bought the same flag Macado has pictured. I think i'll go back to using my covered innertube for scalloping. The covered innertube is nice for scalloping because it's bouyant enough to support the catch bag when there's not quite enough in it to attach a lift bag but it's too heavy to carry. I was hoping to use a more compact unit but don't want to take the chance.

jim with flag.jpg
tobermory ontario...
always fly a dive flag!!!!!!
:D

This always happens with the little Styrofoam floats. Ge the lobster buoy type floats.

This happens as well when you have a little bit of current. We were using this type of flag in our dive shop - only for a very short while. We changed back immediately to the inflatable ones. You won't be able to pull them under water.

My flag has the bowling ball sized styro float. Can't go flat like an inflatable, and I have never been able to pull it under. You might look for one of those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom