Bad OW experience (Warning: Really long post!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is unfortunate, but there are bad instructors out there. There are also instructors who not generally bad, but are bad for some individuals. Sounds like you had one of the two. My OW instructor may have been similar. I did not have such a bad experience. But my instructor had NO patience for me. He was also only 21. 10 years later, he may be great.

I'm glad you were able to work through all the bad stuff and get back out there. And in my opinion it is always better to abort a dive than continue uncomfortable. Any instructor who tells you differently, is an instructor to be avoided. I aborted a dive about a year ago (after a very long snorkel out and someone had to take me part way back in) because I wasn't comfortable with my breathing and as a DM candidate, my instructor used me as a GOOD example over and over to his OW students!

Originally posted by WreckWriter
Best of luck to you. Believe it or not, I'm glad to hear you've got it sorted out.

Thanks Tom. It means a lot to hear this from you.

You know, I do respect the years of experience you (and the other experienced divers on this board) have. I am sure there is so much that you have learned that you could share to help those of us who are new to the sport.

Please don't be so hard on us. Remember, you were once new too and I'm sure you did things that if you saw someone new doing now, you'd just shake your head and moan!

Understand that a small problem to you may be a big problem to us. Remember how the first time when we learned to drive, every little task required concentration? Now, we tool around adjusting the radio, eating a burger, talking on the cell phone, and with one hand, quickly weaving around that *darn* slow driver in front us who "shouldn't be on the road!" :D

Well, in diving, the "darn slow driver" may well be us newbies.

We're self conscience about not measuring up. How can we -- we have no experience!!! That's why we ask so many questions on this board!

Rather than judge us harshly and prematurely, ask us questions and constructively criticize us when you must. You can help us to learn from the situations we manage to get ourselves into. You can help us to learn the right things in the right ways. Encourage us, and help us to be good and safe divers.

Teach us to become such good divers, that even you would be proud to dive with us!

:wink:

:nixon:

Originally posted by AliKat
It is unfortunate, but there are bad instructors out there. There are also instructors who not generally bad, but are bad for some individuals. Sounds like you had one of the two. My OW instructor may have been similar.

It helps to know that I am not alone in this experience. After things happened and I thought about it, I started feeling "defective". Now I know that others have had their experiences and that sometimes, things just happen.

I trust myself again now. And I'll remember that just because someone has a title doesn't mean they can't be mistaken too!

It's encouraging to hear those of you who have overcome the difficulties and continued on!

Originally posted by WreckWriter

I don't believe you on this. no shop could remain in business with this policy. They might discourage it yes, but officially disallow it, I doubt it.

This may sound harsh but it has over 10 years of instructor experience behind it....

My best guess is that you simply freaked either in the water or most likely beforehand and are now looking for someone else to blame.

I find it hard to believe that 2 separate instructors were unable to get you weighted properly, unless you were in full panic the whole time.

as for your snorkel, I'm betting it has a purge valve, right? Hand over the top, blow. This uncurls your purge valve.

Diving is not for everyone. It's an alien environment and we aren't all up to that. Perhaps you should reconsider.

I'm sorry if this sounds mean but if I am right taking my advice might save your life.

If I'm wrong on this, you should report the instructor to his/her training agency.

Tom

Tom, while I agree with some of your assement, it is wrong to discourage new divers like that. I had a ADI tell me the same thing, but I am determined to get through it. Yes, she might have some fears and reservations, but by experiencing and living through those, she will overcome them. I am proof of that.

As for the purge valve and cupping the end, wow.... it does work, but not everyone knows that trick. I had a few problems with mine and even swapped it out for a new one. When it started leaking, the two DI's in the group did not know about that technique, but one of the A's did, showed me on his and let me try it. Worked like a champ and I was able to continue.

ScubaFishee: keep up the work.... get some pool time and if you can, some open water snorkel time to get comfortable with the mask and snorkel. I did, and I am a much better novice diver for it. I trust the equipment most of all and know how to fix problems when they occur.

Bear

Originally posted by ScubaFishee

Oh, and one last thing, yes my snorkel has a purge. But I’m “betting” your advice as written, “Hand over top, blow” won’t work. You see, my snorkel has a cover on the top, and the air will just come out the vents pointed down on the side. This is what I mean by being so experienced but closed minded that just maybe there is a factor of which YOU are unaware.

Mine does too.... and the technique works, your just have to wrap your hand around the top to cover the vents.

Good luck.

Bear

Originally posted by TheDivingBear
Tom, while I agree with some of your assement, it is wrong to discourage new divers like that.

Perhaps. However, in my 10 + years as a diveboat crewman I have conducted well over 100 in-water rescues of folks who didn't overcome them. I've seen some pretty amazing things done in the name of fear by certified divers.

As a teaching instructor one must advance the principle that "anyone can dive". As a retired instructor one can speak the truth which is that there are folks out there who have no business getting in the water with scuba gear on their backs. We've all seen it and while it may be harsh it is most definately true.

When I first read the original post it was my thinking that "scubafishee" might well be one of those people. Her subsequent posts have caused me to reconsider that opinion and to believe that with a bit of work she probably will be able to dive safely. I certainly hope so.

Tom

ScubaFishee

Don't give up. You had one bad dive. It probably happens to everyone sooner or later.

With the benefit of hindsight you were using a BC which you hadn't yet learned how to weight properly and you were seriously overweighted. If you had those sorted before the dive the fact that your snorkel had a fault wouldn't have mattered that much, if at all.

I'm sure that you will have learned a valuable lesson.

Remember the 6 Ps!

regards

Way to go ScubaFishee!!!!

I'm glad to hear that you haven't given up & have worked everything out. the offer still stands...the Dive Mates will be at Gilboa Quarry this weekend (June 8 & 9) & would be more than happy to see you thru your OWs.

Kim

Originally posted by Roooter
Way to go ScubaFishee!!!!

I'm glad to hear that you haven't given up & have worked everything out. the offer still stands...the Dive Mates will be at Gilboa Quarry this weekend (June 8 & 9) & would be more than happy to see you thru your OWs.
Kim
Thanks everyone for being so supportive. Your encouragement has helped and I'm ready to get back in the water. This weekend, the DMs at LDS-2 wants to make sure all my equiment fits right and is properly adjusted over my wetsuit. Then, the instructor (a different one!) will work with me in the pool to get the proper weighting. I'll have the chance to get used to all the new gear and get my confidence back. :)

I'll be back at the Quarry for OW with this instructor later this month. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again all!

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom