Baggage allowances and the dreaded overweight charges: Indonesia domestic flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uli Kunkel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone,

Ive got a few flights coming up this summer- and since my diving gear, camera, and flashy duds have drastically increased the weight of my luggage I thought I would ask if anyone knew how the overweight process works in Indo? I have flown through before, but have always been underweight.

My luggage:
1 carry on = 20kg+ (camera stuff)
1 dive bag = 18kg
1 misc. bag = 15kg

I am flying on Trans Nusa, and Wings Air.

Question time:
1) Anyone know the allowances of these two airlines? (Couldnt find it on their webpages! surprise...)
2) Is there a "Sporting goods allowance"?
3) Any chance of getting a flat rate charge for a second bag?
4) Will they even allow a second bag?
5) Anyone know the charges per kg over?

Flights are from Bali - Labuan Bajo, then Maumere - Kupang - Alor, Alor - Kupang - Bali.

Thanks!
(And once again, many thanks to all those who contributed to the last thread that I posted that is going to make this trip possible!)

My single best tip ...

Get all of the heavy stuff possible into your carry-on, and hand-carry a separate reg bag, also stuffed with heavy stuff. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had either one weighed. My carry-on is a rectangular backpack, and it runs to 15 kilos loaded. When you approach the desk, wear it slung on one shoulder like it's filled with a pillow. Set your reg bag (mine will go 6-7 kilos), filled with all of your lights and batteries, etc, on the floor, not the counter.

About Trans Nusa ... they never weighed anything Bali to Labuan Bajo, but on the return, they weighed me and my carry-on together (I'm tall and 100 kilos)! We both got aboard (???).

Over weight charges depend on many things in Indo. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Garuda has an extra allowance for divers.
Trans nusa & wings do not(As far as i am aware)

I have travelled Kupang-Alor-Kupang -Bali. Allowance was 20Kgs check in .
My carry on was weighed at check in.

The plane that flys Kupang-Alor is small. When i was there a couple of Japanese guests did not get their luggage as there was no more room on the plane. They each had 2-3 massive bags(large hard case samsonite type )They must have had over 100 Kgs for 2 people.!!!They missed 2 days of diving, until their gear arrived.

Cost for excess is typically 35000 Rp per Kg.(Around $3.5 per Kgs)

I really do not know why you are taking so much stuff, 53 Kgs.

My dive bag is 12 Kg, misc bag(clothes) is 6 Kgs, my carry on (camera gear) is 11 KG.

You would really suffer if you ever decided to fly in Australia with that much stuff.
My tip..travel light.

Last edited:
Dang you guys travel heavy. My entire life packs into 3 bags- my dive bag, my laptop and my carryon which is stuffed with some books and clothes. For the record when I fly, I'm allowed 20kg checked (mine is approx23kg) and 1x carryon. Usually nobody cares for the laptop.

Coincidentally I received today boarding passes and other information for flights between DPS and LBJ in a few weeks on Trans Nusa. We were advised that the limitation per person was 15Kg (33lbs), with an 11,000R charge for each extra Kg. At roughly $1.25 per extra 2.2 lbs, even you "heavy" travelers wouldn't seem to be facing any exorbitant hit.

Your mileage may vary!

Will

Coincidentally I received today boarding passes and other information for flights between DPS and LBJ in a few weeks on Trans Nusa. We were advised that the limitation per person was 15Kg (33lbs), with an 11,000R charge for each extra Kg. At roughly $1.25 per extra 2.2 lbs, even you "heavy" travelers wouldn't seem to be facing any exorbitant hit.

Your mileage may vary!

Will

Wings Air also has the 15kg checked baggage limit if you fly on one of their turboprops (very likely). But as Will said, the amount you need to pay for the extra weight will not be too much.

Wings air charged me both ways a week ago. To make it easier go to their ticket counter first, buy the excess for your checked in luggage. It's roughly 14000 per kg. Then go to checking, will save z bit if back and forth. Carrion take the advice above and don't let them really see it.

It all depends.... Great answer right?

I've had carry-ons weighed, allowed to only bring one carry-on, been charged overweight fees, avoided overweight fees, haggled for lower fees, etc.

Just play it by ear and work to some kind of compromise. They've always been more understanding once I've told them that a bag is camera gear and cannot be checked.

A laptop bag is in general always allowed besides your 'regular' carry on.

With Wings I also had mixed experiences, from no problem to making me pay extra for being over the 15kg limit. As Tightlines suggest, just play it by ear.

I think that there has been lots of good advice here.

- Indo Airlines rarely weigh carry-ons or comment on the number of bags (locals travel with lots!) and so the advice to load them up and pretend like they don't weigh anything is a good idea.
- I often fly with Garuda who have one of the highest charges per kilo for overweight (IDR40,000 between Jakarta and Manado) and if you play nice and don't kick up a fuss you always seem to get charged for less than you are actually over ( I often have been 20kgs over and they have only charged me for 10kg).
- if flying on small turbo prop plane, get to check in early so that you can make sure that your bags are the ones that make it!!

Finally have an awesome trip!!! Happy Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom