Bahamas in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NigerHadiza

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi. Well, it looks like I will finally get back into diving in December. (I have some flyer miles that need to be used!). What is the diving like in December? I will also be traveling alone since no one I know will join me. Will a live-aboard be better? What do you think?

It can get pretty cold in December. Pack a 3mm with maybe a vest. Also a hood or beanie. Be sure to pack some warm after diving wear.

I was down in the Southern Islands over New Years. I dove a 5mil every dive and even used a hood on a couple of dives. Water was in the mid-70s, but up to five dives a day leaves me cold.

Come and see us at Small Hope Bay Lodge! We love to have single divers here. Everyone is part of the family here at SHBL and you will meet fun and interesting people.

Water temp is in the mid-70's. I wear 6mm when it is that cold but then again, most instructors are wusses. :)

I just came off the Caribbean Explorer I out of Georgetown. Went by myself and had a great time. Meet a lot of other divers with the same interests and enjoyed the diving. The diving this time of year is warm 78-82. I dove in a shorty suit. Never really got cold at all. December diving would obviously be much colder as noted in the other posts. This boat goes to Conception Island, Long Island, and San Salvador. Look on there website for newer itineraries. It is explorerventures.com. Good luck.

I have dove in the Bahamas twice in December. Two things to watch for. Both times I had dives canceled do to weather or not enough people for the boat. Winter brings more storms and less people to the islands, so be prepared. Otherwise the diving is great!!

I was diving in the Bahamas (Eleuthera) at the end of December last year. We only did 1 dive so I can't say how cold you'd get over multiple ones. However I was fine in a 3mm suit, no boots and no hood. I had thin gloves on. It was windy but the weather was amazing otherwise. I still miss it :(

I took a trip to Nassau for a couple weeks in January, the water was great!! I went on quite a few boat dives through Stuart Coves, was in shorts and scuba gear, and that's it. The water temp was in the low 80's. I mean there were a couple dives where I felt slightly chilly, was tolerable though. I normally don't get cold easy and my body is pretty acclimatized to the western states chilly weather. I would bring a 3mm wetsuit anyway. But overall, that time a year, the weather was perfect for me.

I went on Blackbeard's last year and it was still pretty warm. I recently received a email with a fall special of $799/wk.

Hi everyone and thanks for your comments. Everything is booked (Aqua Cat in early December and a couple of nights on Paradise Island at Comfort Suites with access to Atlantis (pretty sweet deal!).

But now I am looking at buying a 5mm Pennicle wetsuit. I have a 3mm but am really concerned about being cold after even 3 dives, let alone 5 a day. I did my OW in Australia during their winter time and froze in a 5mm which did not fit well at all.

I guess I'd rather let some water in to cool down instead of feeling too cold to dive? Also, I bought a hoodie and hated it. Any advice on the beanies? Love 'em or hate 'em?

Thanks for all of your comments!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom