Bahamas Liveaboard Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we're considering Explorer Ventures. They sound very professional, they've been around awhile, and if you do a search you can find favorable trip reports about them. Worth learning about anyway ...

The CEI boat is no longer in use, but one of their other boats is running out of Georgetown on a part time basis. I've done all of the Explorer boats in the Carribean and HIGHLY recommend them. The new Bahamas boat is very nice and the diving is the best that you'll find IN THE BAHAMAS. San Sal, where the boat spends 2-3 days is worth the trip.

But the lionfish have made a huge impact on the reef fish population in the past couple years, so I'll not be going back to the Bahamas for a long time, probably never. I did the AquaCat in 11/06 and again in 12/08. Big drop in the amount of fish life in the period.

We have not done a Bahamas liveaboard, so I can't vouch for any operation, but we're considering Explorer Ventures.

Explorer Ventures: Caribbean Explorer I, George Town, Exuma

I've had numerous e-mail exchanges with them. They sound very professional, they've been around awhile, and if you do a search you can find favorable trip reports about them.

Worth learning about anyway ...

I agree, the Explorer boats are great, and I just wish that they did one to the Cay Sal banks area. The Nekton boats have serious limitations (that dive deck is a complete nightmare, I agree), but no one else goes to the Cay Sal area that I am aware of, and this is one of my top favorite diving places. Unless someone knows of another boat that goes there? Woody

Thank you all! I appreciate your input! Unfortunately, it looks like we are heading to Keys instead :( I will keep the infor I've received from everyone to use my next trip :wink:

Thank you again!

Okay, here is yet another option that has not been mentioned. There is a boat out of Riviera Beach Marina called the Gulfstream Eagle. I've been on her the past 3 summers. If you're looking for ammenities, this is not the boat for you. The cabins are tight but serve their purpose. The crew is excellent and the food is very good. The best part...THE DIVING! 5 dives a day, always a night dive. The Cay Sal trip is my favorite, but the West end diving is great too. I'll be on the Cay Sal trip leaving August 9th and I can't wait! If you are into diving, this is it. You wont get all the comforts of Aqua Cat, but what you will get is fantastic diving and as much of it as you can handle. Last Cay Sal trip, we had an unbelievable wild dolphin encounter one morning at sunrise. Only about 8 of us were up, the captain dropped us with our snorkels and cameras and to this day they are some of my best underwater shots. So, there is another option. I can only tell you that I have alot of experience with other operations, some are nicer, some not, but you want find a more knowledgeable, experienced crew on any of them at any price. Another bonus is the boat leaves from Riviera Beach Marina (West Palm Beach). If you're coming from out of state, I highly reccomend either coming a few days early or staying a few days after to dive the Palm Beach County area. It rocks, especially Jupiter with the Jupiter Dive Center!

Another vote for the Gulfstream Eagle.
Best $/dive ratio out there, good crew, reasonable accommodations, and great food. Plus you'll see dive sites that are both better and less visited than on most other LAs working that area.
I've been diving with Mark Rose (the owner) off and on for over 25 years, and still look forward to getting on board that boat.

What do you guys think of this trip:
Blackbeard's Cruises Special Charters & Trips

It's to the Hogsty reef...which i haven't been able to find too much info on.

Price is higher then their other trips at $1500, but it seems pretty cool.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated b/c if i want the spot, i have to put the money down ASAP.

Thanks!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom