Balance vs. Chute 3 / SeaQuest vs. Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viper7

Registered
Reaction score
I am ready to purchase my BC but am looking for some feed back. I am a fairly new diver at this time, but want to get into wreck and cave diving eventually. I also want to join the local dive/rescue/recovery team. I had originally made my decision to purchase a SeaQuest Balance. I have worn the balance in the pool (and liked it) and have met many people through the LDS that dive them. I have heard no complaints about them other than personal preference. From what I have found on this board the Balance also seems to be a hit elsewhere. My problem is that I recently was introduced to the Oceanic Chute 3. I tried it on and also really liked the fit. I do not know anyone personally who has had any experience with Oceanic as a company, much less the Chute 3. It seams to me that the C3 is closer to the Black Diamond in features and capabilities. The Balance will cost me about $590, while the C3 will be about $450. The Black Diamond would cost me a little under $800. Cost is a issue for me, so I am looking for something that will last as well as take me into new levels of training (at least for a while). It appears to me (in my inexperienced opinion) that I will get far more with the C3 while spending far less. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions that I may be missing here?

I have a Balance. I dove it for years, and loved it. This year I switched to a back plate and wing config, and like it even more. If you want to go into cave and wreck diving, then this is the better way to go. The cost will also be more to your liking.

I assume you know about online shops like LeisurePro but are deciding not to buy from them. I live in NYC so they are one of my LDS. I figured I mention them since you say cost is an issue. FYI LeisurePro prices:

Chute 3: $365
Balance with velcro integrated weights: $300
Balance with surelock integrated weights: $395
Black Diamond with velcro integrated weights: $400
Black Diamond with surelock integrated weights: $525

I dove a Balance for 3 years. Good BC but a few things bugged my like: horseshoe shaped wing trapped air, inherent buoyancy, shoulder d-rings too high.

I sold my Balance and just got a Dive Rite Transpac. Wing is totally circular so air trapping should be eliminated. Padding can be removed to eliminate buoyancy, d-rings can be moved, added or removed, large/smaller wings can be used depending on application. Leisure Pro sell the Transpac with Travel Wing for $330.

If you are planning on getting into cave/wreck you really should be looking at a BP/Wing or at least a Transpac.

While I don't really care for them for my style of diving, if you are sure you are going into serious wreck and cave diving you may want to consider a BP/wing. Loads of people here love them, but I find them a pain to adjust and not that comfortable above water. That said, if I were going to do cave or deep wreck, a BP would be the way I would go. They handle the tanks and other equipement better any other BC's. You may as well go ahead and get used to the equipment you will need to do tech diving.

Most of my diving will be just recreational. As far as BP/W’s, I have no one around me that sells them, in fact I only even heard of them after I joined this board. The closest shop that does sell them is 3 hours from me and is closed on Sundays and Mondays, my days off. Many have told me that BP/W would be to “tech” for the majority of my diving. To be honest, they seem a little intimidating (but then I have no real first-hand knowledge about them). I would prefer to buy from my LDS because Iowa doesn’t exactly have allot of them and I want to make sure they stay around. Thanks for all your advice...

:doctor: Hey Viper
Personally I would take any Seaquest Product BC over Oceanic, But if you think you want to get into wreck/cave or more challenging types of diving then save your money and buy a BP and Wings. They can be used with single or Dbl Tanks. And believe it or not the quality is very high on these systems and usually a lot less expensive than jackets.

Viper7:
Most of my diving will be just recreational. As far as BP/W’s, I have no one around me that sells them, in fact I only even heard of them after I joined this board. The closest shop that does sell them is 3 hours from me and is closed on Sundays and Mondays, my days off. Many have told me that BP/W would be to “tech” for the majority of my diving. To be honest, they seem a little intimidating (but then I have no real first-hand knowledge about them). I would prefer to buy from my LDS because Iowa doesn’t exactly have allot of them and I want to make sure they stay around. Thanks for all your advice...

The Balance is a good BC, it should serve you well and it has less clutter than the other BC's you're considering.

A few tips on the Balance:

You might have to go full vertical to vent air.

If you don't stuff the integrated weight pockets the area in between the
back of the pocket and the BC is a great place to stow scissors and a knife.
I carried scissors on the right and knife on the left side. Bottom of knife
and scissor sheath was bungeed to the bottom D-rings.

If you carry all your weight on a belt, the weight pockets can be used a
regular pockets for misc. stuff.

Make sure you don't buy too small. Try on the BC wearing you heaviest
suit. I made this mistake and with a 5mm I couldn't reach the rear dump,
couldn't get the BC on/off without using the quick releases.

Another vote for the Balance. Excellent BC for features and trim. In many many dives have never had air trapped in the bladder in any position!! The design is minimalist, which is great for preventing you being tempted to fill pockets with "junk". Great setup for rec diving and for preparing for future tech, and packs well for travel. Save your BP/wings for when you are ready to dive doubles. (My opinion--common, except on this board.)

theskull

I also love my Balance. I also haven't experienced any air trapping.

Phil

Yes - had some incidents of trapping in roll manuvers, minor inconvenience. Yes, you do need to get vertical to vent air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom