Balanced Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming that you were using an aluminum 80 (77.4 cu. ft.) for a new diver your gas consumption was not bad.

I think it was a steel 80..maybe that doesn't make a difference. Steel vs. Aluminum (besides weight)

Also, I forgot to mention that I am at altitude. I think that might affect it. I dove to 50 ft at an altitude of 6000+ ft. So I guess that equates to 70 ft.
Diving at altitude primarily affects nitrogen offloading when you return to the surface (thus the need for more conservative diving). It should not affect your gas consumption.

For purposes of dive time/depth limits at altitude you should use theoretical depths. I do not see on the URL you cited where it said it affects gas consumption. There are several discussions about altitude diving in the Rocky Mountain Forum, and you fall within that geographic area. I'll bet if you ask about it in that forum you will get responses (including from me - which might be a reason to not ask there) <grin>.

Recall that the main thing affecting your breathing rate is carbon dioxide in your system. How does returning to a lower atmospheric pressure when you finish your dive afffect how you breathe during your dive?

I like to dive with as much air as I can comfortably carry. In my home town cold waters, with a drysuit, I use a 120 cu ft steel tank. 80s are still common, with some 100s around, but with a 120 and average air consumption I am usually not the one to turn the dive. It's always nice to have more air. :)

The main difference between an unbalanced and a balanced first stage is that an unbalanced 1st stage gets to be harder to breath when the tank gets low on air.

Ptoone........

WOW, in my humble opinion you have just shown great judgment........

It took me over 300 dives until I figured out it is not about the gear it is about the diving.......

I was fortunate that I could afford the gear so I just bought and bought........

When we are in the Caribbean my son follows me around with all my old discarded "not good enough" gear and has the same great dives I do........

Note this does not apply to deep cold tech stuff.............

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom