Bali or Wakatobi or Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Lorenzoid I haven't heard anything terrible about Komodo currents, just everything I read seemed to recommend it only for "advanced" divers. We're comfortable in the water with good buoyancy, but I wouldn't really claim to be "advanced".

A little humility is a good thing. I don't claim to be "advanced," either. But judging from how many terrible divers I see, and the horror stories I hear, I fear we ARE somewhat advanced relative to the average diver on these sorts of vacation trips. With over 100 dives of (hopefully fairly recent) experience under your belt, comfort in the water, good buoyancy, etc., you are more than capable of handling Komodo.

<<heard anything terrible about Komodo currents>> It wouldn't be difficult to find places where it's plenty bad but this is where a quality liveaboard will know what they are doing, taking you to the right spot and diving it at the right time. Reasonable fitness, paying attention to the guides direction and, as Lorenzoid says, a little humility and forethought will get you through and see some really cool stuff. Reasonable fitness so you can deal with current you do encounter without getting overexerted. Night dives are must do in Komodo. They are typically non-current spots and you can see the whole ID book in a night. We also did the Bali to Komodo liveaboard and enjoyed it a lot and it was easy to get on the boat, though we did spend more time sailing that way, but saw some amazing places. Sometimes they stop off at Tulumben on the way back.

My choice would be to spend a couple days in Bali (Ubud) to take in the culture and sightsee then do a Komodo liveaboard. If you choose the right boat they will have guides that know what they and doing and you will be fine in Komodo. Komodo has the perfect mix of pelagics, reefs and muck/critter dives.

Second choice would be stay in Bali and dive Tulamben and possibly Padang Bai area. We love Bali.

FYI I have dove all three locations... I would skip Wakatobi

Indonesia is known for its currents, they are everywhere (not just Komodo) and can change at just about anytime.

Would completely agree with the above. Ubud is amazing. Check out a 'Fire dance'. Tickets are all sold on the main street. And Komodo is some of the best diving I have ever done. AMAZING!

We did Bali, Komodo and Wakatobi 6 month ago. Bali and Raja 2 years before that.
Bali - Absolutely love the island and looking forward to going back in 2017. The island itself, the culture and good diving, absolute must!
Raja - A pain to get there but more than worth it. We did land based and dove most of the sites the liveaboards got to. Hoping to go back in 2017 also
Komodo - We did landbased from Angel Isle Resort, so I think we had a "tamer" experience but nonetheless it was spectacular, would go back in a heartbeat.
Wakatobi - Very beautiful, impressively run resort. Checked off the bucket list, no need to go back...

I've been to all 3. Komodo is the right choice.

Don't miss Taka Makasar (Manta Point) if you can't get to Manta Alley in the south. Another must do night dive is in Pink Beach.

Enjoy it!

I was in Bali and Komodo in May. We did land based and a liveaboard in Komodo. I would recommend a liveaboard. You get twice as much diving for half the effort. We enjoyed the final few days being land based as we were tired and needed to wind down a bit, but the liveaboard was very good.

The currents need consideration, but one of the group sharing a guide with us had only 14 dives at the start. The currents were not a problem for her, although was young and fit and able to learn quickly.

Check out a 'Fire dance'.

Agree.

If you get a chance try to catch the Fire Dance ('Kecak') at Uluwatu. It's a cliff-top temple with great views and the dance is held at sunset. Lots of tour operators package it with seafood dinner at nearby Jimbaran beach.

Of course it's a bit 'touristy' but what isn't in Bali these days? It's still a lot of fun too see.

Oh yea, almost forgot, dive Bali for Mola. You mentioned you'll be coming in summer, right?

For Mola-Mola as Balinese call it (see the 20' one on my avatar), the best time to see is in Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida, during new moon. I saw 9 of them at that time. Make sure you have the experience local guide. It's a deep (90'+), cold (<70F) & down current could be fast. Stay close to coral to hang on when that happens.

Many many other land activity in Bali besides the dances. If you like outdoor activities, you can take the elephant ride in the morning, followed by Ayung river rafting in the afternoon. Monkey forest in Ubud is also interesting place to visit.

Last edited:
Wow, everyone, thanks! Update: I have a cabin on a liveaboard booked for July. Super excited! You have all set my mind at ease about the currents. Spouse and I are comfortable divers and our fitness is excellent.

For a few days on Bali to sightsee, do y'all recommend staying around Ubud? The fire dances sound great. I'd love to do some birding, too. If anyone has recommendations for places or guides for birding, that would be great. Has anyone done biking or hiking in the rice paddies? The bat cave looked cool, too. Anyone been there?

Agung Raka in Ubud has bungalows next to rice field & trees around the bungalows. It's nice to hear bird singing in the morning, waking you up.

July is also the best time of the year to be there. You get nice cool breeze in the air as it is winter time in Australia.

Pura Goa Lawah (bat cave temple) is nice to visit. You can stay in Padang Bai, have 2 morning dive there, then visit Pura Goa Lawah on your way to Ubud.

Another don't miss dive site in Komodo is Cannibal Rock next to Southern Rinca Island, where you can see some Komodo dragons sunning on the beach. Some of the Komodo may swim around & playing with each other. I saw 4 of them on the beach last time I was there. I've been there 3 times.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom