Bali trip advice - December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi we've been to Bali twice now and have used Aquamarine Bali both times, in fact I'm in discussion with them at the moment about another trip. I would recommend them without hesitation the whole service is first class. We did a two week custom safari with them the year before last. We stayed at four different locations and dived all around the coast and the whole trip from pick up to drop off at the airport went like clockwork.
As for the diving: I love Tulamben. I've told my wife to scatter my ashes there when I go (not for a while yet I Hope). We stayed at another Mimpi resort and lying on a lounger looking out over that bay after a day's diving may be the most relaxed I've ever been in my life, see you've been so I won't describe it any more. We also stayed in the Menjangan region (Mimpi resort) again great diving around Menjangan Island. Easy nice dives great coral white tip sharks baracuda very relaxing. You said you like muck diving. Although we didn't dive there I believe secret bay which is in this region is a recommended muck diving site. Then to Tulamben which you know about ( I'm sure you can also dive amed from here) and then to candidasa (The water Garden, about 20 mins from Padang Bai which is where aquamarine keep there three fast boats. Depending on what you want you could visit blue lagoon usually just mild currents and reef and rock teeming with life. Or you could visit the Nusa Penida dive sites. Slightly colder water but with potentially dives you will never forget. Maybe our best days diving ever here, my wife certainly thinks so. First dive of the day at crystal bay, where we saw the extraordinary Ocean sunfish (Mola Mola) swim toward us out of the blue (we waited about 1/2 an hour and the whole visit only lasted about 2 mins but it was worth it) then from there to manta point where after about 10 minutes underwater we were surrounded by about 15 to 20 mantas showing off all around us, Wow. Once again try Aquamarine. The English owner runs a very tight ship, its a one stop shop for diving and accommodation and the safety and service are excellent, they also have a vey low guide to diver ratio policy, mostly it was just me and my wife but the most we dove with was 2 other people. (see trip advisor).

Whatever you do enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

Do contact Geko, they will for sure help you with the accommodation. I usually prefer staying away from large hotels, I prefer home stays for that local touch. It does seem this time of the year it's high season so you'd better get something in advance. I was there in February this year and did not need to book anything in advance. This time I'm repeating the homestay as I really like the owners, gentle people.

I will be diving with Geko there from the 20th to the 26th of December.

Cheers

www.lifesauntering.com

Hi we've been to Bali twice now and have used Aquamarine Bali both times, in fact I'm in discussion with them at the moment about another trip. I would recommend them without hesitation the whole service is first class. We did a two week custom safari with them the year before last. We stayed at four different locations and dived all around the coast and the whole trip from pick up to drop off at the airport went like clockwork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually sent an email to Aquamarine as someone I know in Bali suggested them as she frequently does day trips with them. However, it looks like as a single diver I have to tag along with others or pay a single supplement.

---------- Post added November 16th, 2014 at 12:03 PM ----------

Hi,

Do contact Geko, they will for sure help you with the accommodation. I usually prefer staying away from large hotels, I prefer home stays for that local touch. It does seem this time of the year it's high season so you'd better get something in advance. I was there in February this year and did not need to book anything in advance. This time I'm repeating the homestay as I really like the owners, gentle people.

I will be diving with Geko there from the 20th to the 26th of December.

Cheers

www.lifesauntering.com

I'm waiting to hear back from Geko regarding accommodation. I don't like big hotels either. I figured around the Christmas holidays I should book ahead. I might see you diving as I hope to be diving with Geko from 17-21 December.

Are you going to visit Komodo on your amazing trip ?

Not this time. With a 7 week dive trip I need to be somewhat budget conscious. Liveaboards tend to be pricey and that's the best way to see Komodo. I did go to Komodo a few years ago and will probably go back someday. It's not really the season for Komodo in December as most liveaboards move over to Raja Ampat.

I am going back to Lembeh though (4th time). :D

---------- Post added November 16th, 2014 at 09:53 PM ----------

The drift dives around Nusa Penida were the best things we did in Bali. Go dive Nusa Penida. Crystal clear water. lots of colorful reef.

I might do a day trip there. That can be done from Padang Bai. I have dived Nusa Penida before though. It was good but I'm not sure I'd go back unless it was for mola mola season... but December is too late.

I'm nearly organised. Decided to stay at Blue Star Bungalows in Amed. Thanks FT for the suggestion. Will dive with Ecodive which is opposite Blue Star. The owner, John, seems like a fantastic guy from the emails back and forth getting things organised.

I'm booked to dive with Geko after diving in Amed. I just need to figure out where to stay in Padang Bai. I've got quite a few suggestions from Geko. Several inquiries sent.. just waiting for replies.

Thanks to everyone for the help! Just over 3 weeks until I get on the plane. :D

I'm nearly organised. Decided to stay at Blue Star Bungalows in Amed. Thanks FT for the suggestion. Will dive with Ecodive which is opposite Blue Star. The owner, John, seems like a fantastic guy from the emails back and forth getting things organised.

I'm booked to dive with Geko after diving in Amed. I just need to figure out where to stay in Padang Bai. I've got quite a few suggestions from Geko. Several inquiries sent.. just waiting for replies.

Thanks to everyone for the help! Just over 3 weeks until I get on the plane. :D

Decided to give Beji Bay Resort in Padang Bai a try. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend but in a great location and recommended by Geko.

Back
Top Bottom