Bali & Tulamben Wreck Divers experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmwater Wank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are looking at diving Bali in early December (8-9 days?) and staying at Tulamben Wreck Divers in one of their beachfront villas. Anyone have any comments about the resort or these particuliar accomodations, diving conditions, weather in December etc?

Being pretty much in front of the Liberty wreck I'm wondering how crowded it gets around there. Not the diving so much, since we could go early or late in the day, but the general vicinity--would the area around the villas get too "crazed" or not? We aren't expecting isolation but aren't too keen on feeling crowded out when not diving. Thanks in advance for any input! :eyebrow: // ww

Wank,

Almost everyone dives the liberty wreck walking from the east.. I've stayed right in front of the wreck and it's very quiet there.. you will actually be staying a little bit west of the wreck, you and the wife will be quite alone there.

I've heard firsthand from someone who stayed there that those accommodations are wonderful. TWD has a great reputation. conditions then should be great, it is just before the start of the rainy season..

Scott F--Coming from you that is high praise. Enjoyed your June 30 post w/ Bali trip report and pics, so you are partly to "blame" for these plans! Thanks. // ww

Rainy season in Bali generally runs from November to April. The run-off from the rivers in rainy season at Tulamben can effect the visibility, as can the number of divers on any given day. Vis is fine first thing in the morning, getting gradually worse as the afternoon wears on.

ww, I think both of you will be feeling quite happy & "lonely"... TWD's "new" beachfront villas are some distance from the "main stretch". They look lovely & heard that scooters are provided. ;-) The beach vendors are usually at the "main stretch" & there are not many of them. ;-)
The only time there was any crowd was when we went to the morning market at the main village - 5mins scooter ride fr main stretch...

We stayed in the beach front villas and they were excellent.

The are a short scooter ride up the road from Tulamben Wreck Divers. We were provided with a scooter and we just zipped up and back as we needed to and chipped in for petrol at the end. It is only a couple of minutes. If you aren't comfortable riding a scooter it mightn't be the right choice for you. I hadn't ridden a motorbike for 15+ years and it was fine. Not much traffic.

Can highly recommend the villas. Great breakfasts, spacious, clean. Really nice pool. Quiet location.

What, no Harley's?? Nope, scooters are no problem. The only problem I see is--it's not December yet! Have booked a villa with Tony M. and can't wait. Thanks so much for the input everyone. // ww

Have stayed at Mimpi Resort Tulamben. Leaves the others for dead. The locals will carry your gear the 100 metres or so you need to walk along the waterfront to do the Liberty. This is arranged by the dive shop at Mimpi. Try to get a beachfront room - very Bali and very beautiful.

What, no Harley's?? Nope, scooters are no problem. The only problem I see is--it's not December yet! Have booked a villa with Tony M. and can't wait. Thanks so much for the input everyone. // ww

W.W Enjoy Tony runs a good operation.....(as do the others as well), staying there will be a definite advantage as you will be able to pick the time you go and should be able to get on the wreck early (well before the day trippers).

A friend and I stayed & dived with Tony & Dot at TWD recently and couldn't have been happier with the accomodation - villas rocked - or the diving. Highly recommended

They have cars if you don't ride or there are more than two of you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom