Bangsticks, guns, other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No offense to anyone here,but go to spearboard.com and you'll find quite a few varieties of experience with PHs.As far as guns Glock sells a kit for thier guns but as said before who needs one?

For their first generation of glock model 17 only, glock produced something called maritime spring cups. They replaced the standard spring cups with ones that had notches cut in them to allow water to channel over the striker (firing pin in a glock) so it would function after being submerged under water with NATO spec ammunition. Test firing was done in open water, submerged just a few feet underwater. They did not do test on any other model or generation of 17 or using any other ammo than nato spec 124gr FMJ. The maritime spring cups are really hard to come by, and they will not sell directly to most dealers. In fact I believe they will only sell them as a replacement part for existing guns. However I have seen them sold on ebay. Also Glock didn't really develope the maritime spring cups for the gun to shoot underwater, but to shoot above water after bein submerged in water. For maritime enviroments. I have seen other model glocks actually functionally fired underwater on youtube. I do not know the details or if any modifications were made to the weapons to do so. But glock does not sell a kit for the gun to fire underwater and if you call them they will disclaim the heck out of it.

Guns and water are bad... Navy seals (which was mentioned in the original post) have special training for transporting firearms underwater, not shooting them (not to mention they don't care if they rust because they drop them off at the armory at the end of the day for some other guy to clean up and worry about). Its not like on the movies, and I do not recommend ever submerging a gas operated AR15 rifle in the water or any other direct blowback gas operated rifle unless you wanna ruin it, and probably end up with a couple ugly scars maybe a missing finger or two.. There are a couple of videos on youtube.com that show some nice examples. youtube.com/watch?v=AGwkHktkTxU YouTube - HK (Heckler & Koch) versus Colt (note that the HK is a gas piston design and utilizes polyagonal bore rifling)

And please please don't ever try to fire a gun underwater in your freinds pool. Remember sound travels faster underwater than in air, and being in a pool, that shockwave has nowhere to go but right back at ya.

Take heed this quoted warning: "Just about any handgun will fire underwater -- at least once. :) However, firing underwater is NOT recommended because it can have devastating effects on the pistol and the shooter -- a potentially dangerous activity that should only be utilized by trained personnel wearing proper equipment for protection against potential pressure wave effects of underwater detonation. The shock/pressure waves in water can really damage internal organs (ever heard of lithotripsy?). Shooting a pistol underwater can lead to property damage, serious bodily injury or even death. "

Bang sticks are a totally different tool. They are not a firearm, and do not have rifled barrels or use any type of delayed blowback operation (semi auto handguns). If you have questions about firearms I would probably recommend directing them at gunbroker.com forum. There are also some fellow divers there.

And stop watching that movie Deep Blue Sea... I know thats why you wanna take guns underwater, but if you watch that movie to much and you'll be scared to sit on a toilet cause you'll think some genetically modified mutant shark is gonna weasel its way up the plumbing and bite off your a** off. Let alone go diving without a weapon.

Its funny to see illustrations of early diving helmuts where the man has a small hatchet. Man gotta stop googling so much.

Last edited:
Is it International Revive Old Threads day here on the board?

Funny that two of the OP's 4 year old threads have be reactivated by two separate people on the same day.

Back
Top Bottom