Banned from diving for a locked out backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
That's exactly what I was told from Larry at Scubatoys except dive operation part.

He said, one of his buddies who used Suunto didn't make the last dive while other divers who had Oceanic computer were diving because Suunto was locked out.

It depends a lot on what the locked out diver had set his personal settings. It seems to me the Suunto diver should have been watching his computer a lot more closely. It is his own fault he got locked out. I dive Suuntos.

actually this is a legit question..
i see where hes comming from,
this is what i recomend you do.
get yourseld a simple bottom timer like the scubapro/uwatec. there way cheaper money and will suit what you are doin.
the get some dive plannig software. v-planner, voyager whatever (thats a whole nother thread)
plan your dive and write it on a wrist slate. now plan another dive for 10 minn longet and write it down. no 10 minn deeper...
see what your doin yet.....
use the bottom timer and a pre planed [plan as a back-up to your computer.
2 different computers will have different levels of conservitism, and different algorithms (sp) so if you "bend" one computer switching to a differnt computer is not a good idea, thats liek rule #1 for dive computers... never switch computers between dives

Dude, you are getting way ahead of the game buying a backup with less than 15 dives. Your back up at less than 15 dives should be your dive tables. Practice with them and stay within the limits on them and you won't have to worry about this. Even if your comp fails or locks you out, which you should not be coming close to doing dives in which this is a possibility, if you can show by good data recording ie:time in,time out ,max depth, beginning and ending pressure,and surface interval you will not have to worry about it if you can prove by use of your tables you are ok to go. If you want back up by a good dive watch and a depth guage, or a bottom timer with a depth feature. Any dive op that would let you come close to the limits on your computer or tables as a new diver would scare the hell out of me and not get any of my business.
Jim PADI Master Scuba Diver and Divemaster Candidate

Make whichever computer is more conservative your primary computer. Or better yet, dive with two computers that have the same programming / calculations.

Also, be careful. I borrowed a backup computer for a liveaboard years ago. On the first 4 dives of the day one computer was the more conservative. However, on the 5th dive of the day they switched and the other was more conservative. Needless to say, shortly thereafter when I bought a backup computer I bought one with the same algorithms as my primary.

Lastly, think hard about why a dive operator would want you to sit out for 24 hours after locking out a computer. Liability is definitly a factor. But liability only comes in to play if something happens to you the diver.

Paula

Jarrett:
Hello, I am fairly new to the board and to diving and just ran across this concept I wanted to run by you.

I am in the market for a backup computer. Right now I have a more liberal Aeris Atmos AI and I am considering a Suunto as a backup/replacement primary for the Aeris. That said, if I were to use the Aeris as my primary, I could theoretically run into a situation where I do everything right by my Aeris and be locked out by the Suunto. Given that scenario, I have read about dive operations that will put you in a mandatory 24 hour sit out from diving if you lock out your computer.

My questions are:

How prevalent is the lock out rule on dive operations?

and

Does it apply to backup computers? Meaning, if my primary is fine and my backup is locked out, do I still get to dive?

Thanks in advance.

Why do this? I use my computer as a back up to my dive tables. IOW, I set my dive plan on my Atmos 2 based on the NDL for the planned depth and mix of EANx I'm using, and dive those limits. I have a dive watch that registers depth and time; that's my back up. So if my computer fails, guess what, I can go back to my dive tables and go diving again. But if you absolutely, positutevely have to have a back up computer, and have the $$ for it, get one with the same degree of liberalism as your primary, and dive them both at the same time; the Oceanic Atom somehow comes to mind.

jhelmuth:
Why? Which one was right?
Neither....

But in reality, the only time I have even seen this is when a buddy of mine took his Suunto set for high Alt diving at sea level. He ignored his computer and it whined.

There are probably other scenarios that might cause the same effect, but the computers are padded so much I doubt it would make much difference.

Unless, he falls into the fat slob almost having a heart attack region...just go dive, have fun.

JimLap:
Dude, you are getting way ahead of the game buying a backup with less than 15 dives. Your back up at less than 15 dives should be your dive tables. Practice with them and stay within the limits on them and you won't have to worry about this. Even if your comp fails or locks you out, which you should not be coming close to doing dives in which this is a possibility, if you can show by good data recording ie:time in,time out ,max depth, beginning and ending pressure,and surface interval you will not have to worry about it if you can prove by use of your tables you are ok to go. If you want back up by a good dive watch and a depth guage, or a bottom timer with a depth feature. Any dive op that would let you come close to the limits on your computer or tables as a new diver would scare the hell out of me and not get any of my business.
Jim PADI Master Scuba Diver and Divemaster Candidate

i agree with what your saying to a extent.. dive, get exoperence, but he has the right mindset. thinking ahead....he just needs a little guideance.
i think hes more concerned about what to do if his compure craps out on him.. and dont want to end his diving for the day (like if hes on a charter or something)

Diesel298:
actually this is a legit question..
i see where hes comming from,
this is what i recomend you do.
get yourseld a simple bottom timer like the scubapro/uwatec. there way cheaper money and will suit what you are doin.
the get some dive plannig software. v-planner, voyager whatever (thats a whole nother thread)
plan your dive and write it on a wrist slate. now plan another dive for 10 minn longet and write it down. no 10 minn deeper...
see what your doin yet.....
use the bottom timer and a pre planed [plan as a back-up to your computer.
2 different computers will have different levels of conservitism, and different algorithms (sp) so if you "bend" one computer switching to a differnt computer is not a good idea, thats liek rule #1 for dive computers... never switch computers between dives

... a most intelligent answer. Are you listening?

JeffG:
Neither....

But in reality, the only time I have even seen this is when a buddy of mine took his Suunto set for high Alt diving at sea level. He ignored his computer and it whined.

There are probably other scenarios that might cause the same effect, but the computers are padded so much I doubt it would make much difference.

Unless, he falls into the fat slob almost having a heart attack region...just go dive, have fun.

I disagree. Read the DAN reports on diving accidents. Fit, non-slobs get hit and can have serious issues as well. IMNSHO, your primary computer is your dive plan and your brain. Your backup is your dive computer. There is NO need to have a backup dive computer - period. I'm interested in having anyone show me where there is a valid reason to have 2 dive computers. Only a dive concession would lead you to believe such nonsense.

Jim

jhelmuth:
I disagree. Read the DAN reports on diving accidents. Fit, non-slobs get hit and can have serious issues as well. IMNSHO, your primary computer is your dive plan and your brain. Your backup is your dive computer. There is NO need to have a backup dive computer - period. I'm interested in having anyone show me where there is a valid reason to have 2 dive computers. Only a dive concession would lead you to believe such nonsense.

Jim

Perhaps there is no need to have a back up dive computer but if someone wants to have one and can pay for it, why not?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom