Banning Bad Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpyderTek

Reaction score
Ok, Here is a topic that I thought of while searching for even MORE stuff to buy to feed my scuba habit:

Since items like "Spare Air" exist but have been proven amongst the dive community to be "unsafe", generate a false sense of security, or in any other way deemed a greater than normal potential hazard - Should they be removed from the market?

If so, who would / could make the call as to what items fall within this "ban" list? and furthermore, who would "enforce" the ban?

Perhaps instead of a ban a "warning" system simular to the Warnings on the sides of cigarette packs? Cause it could be said that Spare Air isn't all bad. It can be very usefull at say 10 to 20 feet? (postulating)

What are your thoughts?

SpyderTek

is to not buy it. The market is a GREAT place to winnow the harvest. As for Spare Air... while I do not use/reccomend it I know of those who swear by it and not at it. It is myunderstanding that it is even used by some pilots for emergency evac purposes. If the "wrong" people get to pick and choose, I might loose my precious OMS Bungeed Wings of Death.

I agree that Supply and demand (IE: "the Market") is a great way to discard the production of substandard equipment. However, with the advent of such 3rd person shopping as E-bay and such, it is far to easy for the uneducated to purchase potentially fatal equipment. I see at least 1 Spare Air posted for sale every day on E-bay.

(Sub-note: Many items in the "scuba" section of E-bay have attatched to them a disclaimer 'do not bid on this item if you are not certified to use it'. This is for the sellers protection more than the buyer's as there is no meathod to actually CHECK if the bidder is certified. It is an honor system.)

I have this horrible mental picture of Joe Public OW certified diver shopping e-bay, looking for a pony cause he was told somewhere that he HAD to have one to do the dives he wanted, buying Spare Air and drowning in an emergency at 100' because it was inadiquate. I say this because this is what WOULD have happened to me IF I HAD NOT BEEN PART OF THIS BOARD and that is a very scary thought.

It seems to me that only scuba enthusiasts (Read Fantatics) like myself and many of the members here do the needed research into equipment before buying. Should there be a seperate "Equipment certifying agency" to protect the stupid or the lazy? We are a self regulated sport. Every day I read about one death after another on the internet; without some further checks on what equipment we purchase I think this number can only increase.

Wasn't King Neptune himself talking about a statistically deadly rebreather in another thread?

Seems there is a genuine issue here that needs addressing.

SpyderTek

Originally posted by SpyderTek
I say this because this is what WOULD have happened to me IF I HAD NOT BEEN PART OF THIS BOARD and that is a very scary thought.
This points out several important issues (IMO)...

1. There are divers who get burned by buying the wrong stuff.
2. There are divers who bought the wrong stuff selling it.
3. They are often one and the same.
4. Should divers dispose of the wrong stuff by destroying it?
5. Forums like ScubaBoard are valuable for discussing stuff.

I think it’s a non-issue. IMO, keeping bad equipment off the market won’t accomplish anything. Put things in perspective. We debate because one diver goes deeper than I do on air or because you think I go to deep. Then, there is the majority who don’t know there is an issue at all. I know rec divers who, with an al 80 and no deep training or experience, have fallowed a Caribbean DM (with same) to 160ft. A customer recently told me of entering a wreck at 100ft with a group following a DM who was the only one with a light. Let them have the Spare Air; it can’t hurt. Everyone knows that the important thing is that the Spare Air be available in designer colors that match the BC that comes special with the Spare Air pocket.

And then there are the ones who call the shop to ask if you can fill a Spare Air. What do you all think? Is it being too opinionated to tell them that if they empty it they probably wont need a refill?

I think sometimes you got to be cruel to be kind... :tease: The Pugster is known for that!

I am new to the sport but I would offer a word of caution on asking for any regulation beyond that of what is in place now. Not many of the regulations put in place that don't make somone some money are actually enforced.

I find it a lot easier to post on a forum like this. If that manufacturer, distributor, can take the heat from an open air forum such as this they will survive. Its when the debate becomes a personal type thing that these forums cease to be effective.

I for one applaud those who set up, maintain, moderate these forums. With a large enough base maybe the need for regulation will cease to exist.

Ban Spare Air? Phooey. The worst thing that can be said about them is that they help clean up the gene pool. At the best, they provide a compact emergency air supply that can save lives.

More to the point: Who gets to decide what to ban and on what basis? You want to take someone's decision making authority away from them because they made a decision you don't agree with? You want to take someone's decision making authority away from them because they might make a decision you don't don't agree with?

Safety Nazi!!!

Most people think that scuba diving is a dangerous sport and that anyone who participates in it is making a foolish and ill-considered decision. Who are you to say that they're wrong and that scuba shouldn't be banned?

I reserve my right to be wrong - please don't try to take it away from me or we won't be able to be friends.

Steven

IMHO anytime someone trys regulate an industry, common sense loses out. How far will the mandates go? Besides, you cannot protect stupid people from themselves. Unfortunately when you have stupid TV shows that show things like spare air as great devised for emergencies, people are going to think it is real. Think Bay Watch.

What has been lost is that spare air did have a purpose. It was designed for chopper pilots to have in their cockpit incase they went down over water. It gave them a few extra minutes as the cockpit filled up to be able to escape since they could not bail out until the blades stopped spinning. That is provided they survived the crash. So there may be a valid reason for such a product, just not something a diver should rely on if they are below 20-30 feet. Just my .02.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom