Suggestion Bannings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK gang... give me some input.

What should (if anything) warrant a temp ban (5 day suspension)?

What should (if anything) warrant a perm ban?

NetDoc:
So FGray...

you are scared to make any constructive suggestions, but are not afraid to openly criticise? Somehow, I find that disengenuous at best, and either you are deceiving yourself into believing this or you have another agenda. The funny part is that you actually think that no one would see through that farce.

BTW, I am not the moderator in question here.

You don't know that to be true. He truely may feel censored. He may truely feel that this thread allows him to open up. The only disengenuous action I see is creating a thread to ask what people think and then attack them for posting it.

NetDoc, TA, and Moderators,
Thanks for providing this forum and the I appreciate your efforts to maintain it. Ever since I have been a participant on ScubaBoard, You have demonstrated common sense and patience. Even though a few folks are running up and down the hall with their hair on fire over recent bannings, your work to keep some order and decorum in place is exemplary.
3-5 warnings should be sufficient prior to banning. If a member doesn't get it after multiple warnings, then being banned is appropriate.
Thanks,
Larry

You can always e-mail site support and say that there is a problem with your account, please advise.

To say that we are not listening after we set up a forum for just this purpose, and are actively participating in it, is incredibly shortsighted. We even made an announcement, put encouraging words to that effect and made it so only TA and I have any powers back here.

Listening does not mean I will be incorporating every idea presented. I, as the other mods, are listening intently, and we will make decisions based in part on what you ask for. Continually trying to prove a point to the contrary is counter productive and wastes time.

Boogie711:
Pete - you said "If anyone feels that a moderator has stepped over the line, they merely need to ask another mod..."

My point - and the point I think several of us have attempted to make, perhaps to unlistening ears is:

You can't ask another mod! You don't know who did the action in the first place, so how can you go and ask "another" mod????

Most of the moderator actions are conducted behind this giant hypocritical veil of secrecy - we just want some open and honest conduct. I don't think it's too much to ask.

Absolutely agreed. We can't ever even know if a moderator stepped over any line, because any evidence that anything ever happened is summarily erased from our view almost immediately, and we never know what happened or to whom.

NetDoc:
I respectfully disagree with your premise here. If anyone feels that a moderator has stepped over the line, they merely need to ask another mod or to e-mail the board. TA will make sure that I get a copy of any protests.

If what you say was true then It would have taken more than 90 Seconds to stop me from accessing the forum. Given that how do I report the abuse?
Besides I find it hard to beleive that one moderator would report abuse by another moderator. Kinda like the old boys club. WINK, WINK,.
I had a friend ask a Moderator why I was banned and you herd the response given in the last post. The moderators for the most part do a good job. But some of them take this far to personal.
Once again I'm speaking from what I see as an outsider and your speaking as an insider. Two differant prospectives. Pete I even sent you a private message about this problem but I got no response. So what am I to think.
Fred

NetDoc:
You can always e-mail site support and say that there is a problem with your account, please advise.

To say that we are not listening after we set up a forum for just this purpose, and are actively participating in it, is incredibly shortsighted. We even made an announcement, put encouraging words to that effect and made it so only TA and I have any powers back here.

Listening does not mean I will be incorporating every idea presented. I, as the other mods, are listening intently, and we will make decisions based in part on what you ask for. Continually trying to prove a point to the contrary is counter productive and wastes time.
Hmmm... "Continually trying to prove a point to the contrary is counter productive and wastes time."

Fair enough, Pete, but let me ask you this: Can you point me to any evidence whatsoever that indicates that you've actually acknowledged what we're saying here? We feel there are problems with the moderating system, and the only answer we get is "We'll look into it - we know what's best, and we're not going to tell you what our answer is."

So forgive me if I keep trying to make the same point. Especially when known and submitted evidence of hypocritical behaviour by the mods (many of whom I have very high respect for, to be fair) is ignored.

Look - I keep banging the same point because no one is willing to provide an answer. We started not one but TWO separate threads on these issues, both of which were yanked. Neither of which violated any TOS requirements. The question no one wants to answer is - "Why were they yanked?" The answer I believe everyone suspects right now is "Because they were embarassing to the Moderators."

When we point out hypocritical behaviour like this, with ESTEEMED respect Pete - it's not enough to just open up a forum and say "we're listening." If you were truly listening, I can't help but feel I'd get a genuine answer. Which I'm not.

NetDoc:
You know cornfed, as I read your post I was thinking... boy, I am glad we can't get voted off of the island because people hate us! I would be the first to go! Can I at least keep the Rolls?
I'm sorry, Netdoc, but I have no idea what you're referring to. Which post made you think this?

They would have been accused of trolling and some mod would have removed the thread and the member banned by that mod.
This is the problem.
Who Polices the Police. In this case No One.
If someone reports an abuse by a Mod they get targeted by the Mod and if they step out of line their silenced with no recourse.
As I said banning the customers is not a good thing. Hard to make money when you stop the customers from entering the store.
Fred

The Mods are policed by the other Mods and the owner of the board. We work as a group.

You refer to the fact that it is hard to make money if the customers stop entering the store. Have you been charged to visit this site? We work very hard to make sure you never are.

Chad

daylight:
NetDoc, TA, and Moderators,
Thanks for providing this forum and the I appreciate your efforts to maintain it. Ever since I have been a participant on ScubaBoard, You have demonstrated common sense and patience. Even though a few folks are running up and down the hall with their hair on fire over recent bannings, your work to keep some order and decorum in place is exemplary.

Larry, I agree. I greatly appreciate the time end effort the safe puts into the site. I just don't think it's unreasonable to ask for explanations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom