Barbados Trip Report 7/3-7/10 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris z

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Lodging - Rented a house in Navy Gardens near South coast. Servicable, clean, nothing fancy.

Car - Top Car Rental - Picked up car at airport. Service was good and friendly. Driving is interesting; not so much be cause they drive on the left, but because there are almost no road signs. Spent a lot of time lost.

Quick Run down - Diving Specifics at the bottom.
Arrival day - Grocery store for supplies and dinner at Tapas (great snapper).

2nd day - We meet up with the couple went with. We attempted to drive to the East Coast - Bathsheba to have brunch at the Atlantis. Spent a lot of time lost, but eventually got there. Brunch was very good. It rained and stormed during brunch. After we stopped at the Soup Bowl to look at the surfers and the waves then be visited Crane Beach which is beautiful. Had dinner at Sweet Potato in St. Lawerance Gap.

On the 3rd, 4th, and 5th days we dove in the mornings with Eco Dive. After diving we had lunch - fish cutters (sandwiches) from a guys selling the out of a shack by a beach (our dive master recommended the placed). After lunch it was beach until dinner time.

6th day - Mt. Gay rum tour with our friends and then drove to the north end of the island to see the sea caves.

7th day - beach bumming with our friends at Accra beach on the South end, then dinner at the Oistens Friday Fish Fry. Talked to some locals to find their favorite vendor and who sells the coldest beer.

8th day - take it easy then off to airport.

In general the restaurant were about the same price as mid-range places in Seattle. The street food is a great deal and fantastic. The food is mostly fish and chicken. Beef can be found, but if you want to eat local (Bajan) then it is chicken and fish.

There are at least 4 Rum manufactures on the island and some of the best prices are at the local grocery stores.

Diving - As I mentioned above we dove with Eco Divers - Andrew was great to work with. He even helped DH with where to park the car near the shop. We really enjoyed diving with him, and he did a great job of balancing the dives so that the site were a mix of good photo taking sites for the picture takers and sites where there are chances to see bigger stuff.

DH and I a fairly new to taking photos UW and Andrew had some great tips/advice and was eager to teach us how to take better pictures.

The only down side was the vis was not so great due to a combo of an algae bloom and the tropical weather events, but that's Mother Nature.

We did 3 days of 2-tank diving.
The first day we dove in the Carlisle Marine Park and Asta Reef.
The 2nd day we dove Pieces of 8 and the South-ish end of Carlisle Marine Park.
The last day we dove the Boot and Friars Craig.

I'll try to post back with some pictures when I get a chance.

Thanks for the trip report. How would you compare the diving with other places you have been?

I'd say it was better than St. Lucia (July 2003), St. Maarten (Sept. 2005), and the dives we did off of Key Largo - with the exception of the Spiegel Grove (March 2009). Not as good as Cozumel (May 2004), Bahamas (July 2006), or Kona, HI (August 2008).

Granted the Keys experience may have been tainted by the very rough waters due to heavy winds during our visits. I also may have had unreasonably high expectations of the Keys; whereas, I had pretty low expectations of Barbados - so I was pleasantly surprised.

It is hard to compare with our "home" waters in the Puget Sound since it so different.

Ahhhh, you're making it so hard to wait for my next trip back. Were you aware of Carlisle Bay? Great shore dive.

We knew that areas of Carlisle Bay could be done as a shore dive. We had opted to dive from a boat since we almost exclusively shore dive at home.

Works been crazy since I've been back I'm hoping to get some pics up soon.

BarbaraJ and I are going in November for two weeks, staying at the Southern Surf Apartments and diving with EcoDive. We'll have a car the whole time. We got both recommendations from TripAdvisor. Any suggestions, Rich or Chris? We like to shore dive as well and I'll take any tips about Carlisle Bay.
Thanks,
TedJ

BarbaraJ and I are going in November for two weeks, staying at the Southern Surf Apartments and diving with EcoDive. We'll have a car the whole time. We got both recommendations from TripAdvisor. Any suggestions, Rich or Chris? We like to shore dive as well and I'll take any tips about Carlisle Bay.
Thanks,
TedJ

Ted....PM sent with trip report links.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom