Barracudas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was stringing fish for my dive buddy Sunday and had several Cuda that were keeping a eye on the Snapper. Most of the time they were ever 5'-10' away. But I would wave my arm and they would move back. I have only made a few Gulf dive but just about everytime there has been a few Cuda. A few weeks ago I on one rig there had to be atleast 250 or 300. And they have yet to bother me. But I guess if they do it will be too late. But I have not ever heard of any first hand accounts of anyone being attacked by a Cuda.

Those big ones are greater barracuda. I wouldn't eat a big one that far south, they're old enough for the toxin buildup to pose a hazard.

They really don't pose much of an actual threat to divers, but if you're spearing all bets are off. They are sight hunters and a thrashing fish may set them off. In which case they'll be after your fish, not you. You just don't want to be in the way :wink:

If it concerns you, take a goodie bag & put your fish inside it as quickly as possible. Get them out of sight. This also seems to help reduce shrak interaction. At least around here, we don't seem to have problems with the bulls going after fish inside bags. YMMV, no guarantees. But when we're seeing a lot of sharks, we don't string the fish, we bag them.

There is a guy here in Karachi who was attacked by a Barra. He lacks a calf muscle! Took a lot of stitches to seal his leg up. As for eating Barras they are one of the most commonly eaten fish in Pakistan and everyone here loves em.

Wayward Son:
Those big ones are greater barracuda. I wouldn't eat a big one that far south, they're old enough for the toxin buildup to pose a hazard.

They really don't pose much of an actual threat to divers, but if you're spearing all bets are off. They are sight hunters and a thrashing fish may set them off. In which case they'll be after your fish, not you. You just don't want to be in the way :wink:

If it concerns you, take a goodie bag & put your fish inside it as quickly as possible. Get them out of sight. This also seems to help reduce shrak interaction. At least around here, we don't seem to have problems with the bulls going after fish inside bags. YMMV, no guarantees. But when we're seeing a lot of sharks, we don't string the fish, we bag them.

Thanks for the good info Wayward Son, I usually string them, but that makes sense about bagging them and getting them out of sight. No luck with the groupers yet, but speared a nice size flounder about 8 pounds.

I was pumped, he looked liked a big door mat. We came arcross a grouper, but they are some easy spooked fish

Sobx

No, I sure dont. I wish I would have though there isnt going to be to many opportunties for me to spear that size.

I once caught a flounder, and it was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis big! :1poke:

A captain on one of the dive boats I use takes barracuda all the time. Up here in the Northern Gulf, they are fine to eat. I don't bother with them, but he swears by them.

Back
Top Bottom