Basic decompression procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP's question is one I've been quite curious about for a year or so now. I asked a similar question and got some interesting (and sometimes not too relevant) answers -- so, what the heck, why NOT reopen the bidding:

Assumptions:

a. You are capable at doing stops -- keeping your depth stable -- even while task loaded;

b. You are capable at dive planning/gas management;

c. You understand basic deco theory and have a rational working deco model (just for kicks let's say you are competent in putting together a ratio deco plan);

d. You are comfortable in overhead environments and understand how to solve problems where you are (let's say you have are Intro-Cave, taken in doubles).

Now, what more would you/should you be taught in a class setting to do "short" (less than 15 minutes) backgas deco? (Profile would be, decide to spend 10 minutes past NDL at 120ft diving with double 100's.)

What say y'all?

I have a friend who´s profile is similar to yours and TBH I have no qualms about doing wreck penetrations and deco with this person (sometimes exceeding the 15min deco as well)...

I don´t think you´d come away from the "standard class" with anything but a "refresher type"-experience and something other than RD and RB to use as a dive/gas-planning tool...

what you could do, is find an instructor and talk about doing a full-mix class maybe combined with wreck or cave (depending on your preferences) because those classes do, IMO, add some complexity to dive planning that give you more options and knowledge that could be useful even on simpler dives...this is on the assumption that you are heading deeper/further either in OW, wreck or cave...If you are "happy where you are", I would propably just start doing the dives...

(disclaimer: yada, yada, yada)

If you want to learn about what its like to do a decompression stop just skip the dive, and hang out at 10 feet. A no decompression dive at 120 will give you 15 minutes add 10 more minutes to that making it 25 minutes and you are into hang time. The clock starts ticking from the time you leave the surface to the time you leave the bottom. If you are using one tank what kind of shape are you in? What is your comfort level in the water. Do you suck a lot of air or are you more controled in your breathing. Air goes faster at depth will you have enough?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom